We did it.
We cut his hair.
This mama has been having some serious "my baby isn't a baby anymore" issues.
It doesn't help that one of my friends just had one of the prettiest babies I've ever seen, and several other friends and family are all expecting right now. It's certainly not making my "plans" (and I put "plans" in quotes for a reason... I don't really have a PLAN... just a preference, I guess) to space out my kids any easier.
So add all these precious, tiny, dainty little babies and pretty mamas planning their nurseries to the fact that my baby boy? He now looks like a KID.
Even my neighbor told me yesterday how she's noticed he's losing his baby chub and looking older.
*insert some sniffling here*
And all we did was cut his hair.
His beautiful, strawberry-blond, long, wispy fine hair...
Can you imagine the mess I'm going to be when he has to start school???
Yeah. I prefer not to think about it.
Denial is MUCH better.
Anyways...
Yes, we finally cut his hair.
I told you we didn't have a plan (there's that word again) for if/when we'd cut it.
But the last few days, we'd been toying with the idea, mainly because the summer here is getting to an ungodly temperature already. So randomly, I'd go, "Maybe we oughta cut it..." Then Brad would look at him, frown at the thought of all that baby hair being gone, and we'd say "Naaaahhh..."
And then it'd go the other way around. He'd suggest it, I'd frown, and then we agreed it was too soon.
We liked his hair long. I still do, actually.
But it needed to get off of his neck. And it needed to be thinned out.
So we bit the bullet.
We decided not to take him anywhere, mainly because Brad refuses to pay for a haircut (I'm the only one in the family that's allowed to get away with that... the perks of being the only girl?). Brad cuts his own hair and has been doing his family/friends/missionaries' hair for years. However, he's never had to cut anyone's hair solely with scissors. Normally, clippers are involved.
But the clippers freaked Noah out. Scissors it was.
Noah did ahMAZing. He only got upset towards the end, because Brad had to cut around his ears and to prevent him from getting stabbed, I had to hold him still.
All in all? Brad did a fantastic job.
My mom saw it yesterday and was totally impressed. It's not easy cutting a toddler's hair with only scissors, especially if you've never done it before. There are a couple of spots where it's a bit... um... "piece-y". Over all, though, it looks good. But I'll let you take a look and decide.
Oh, you'll have to excuse the fact that these pictures are a little random and disjointed. I can't get the boy to hold still for a picture to save my life. I haven't taught him how to do the "say cheese!" thing, because I like the look of candids better. But it would be nice to have a picture of him where he's actually looking at me.
The back...
You can see where it got a little tough to cut around his ears (wiggly, fussy toddlers don't make that easy). Oh well. It'll grow back. No biggie.
See what I mean?
He looks like a little kid. Not at all like a baby.
Excuse me while I go sob in a corner.
Guess who else got his hair chopped off?
Told you Brad refuses to pay for haircuts, even for the dogs.
Poor Dodger. He becomes the joke of the neighborhood every summer.
I do think it's cute, though, that Brad left it a little long on top. He didn't want Dodger to get a sunburn.
Yep. No skin cancer risks in this family.





3 comments:
Oh so cute! It's funny how a little haircut can make them look so much older. Brad did a good job!
He looks so cute and yes, a little more grown up, but not like a boy yet. Still babyish! I had a hard time with Henry's first haircut too.
Believe me, I'm struggling with the same thing (wanting more babies). Keira looks SO OLD now and she's my last baby.
Jess's baby is so beautiful!!!
If you are struggling now, imagine how it is for black mothers. When our sons get their first haircuts, it really is a loss of babyhood because the hair does not grow back the same. You shave off all those soft baby curls and in their place you get wiry man hair. DJ never looked the same after his first cut.
Post a Comment