Random #1: My husband still naturally checks me out when he doesn't realize it's me. We got separated in Target the other day while grocery shopping. I was getting some granola bars when he walked by the aisle. A few seconds later, he came walking down and said, "I totally just checked you out when I walked by and didn't even realize it was you." I have to say, it kinda made my week.
Random #2: Noah is doing this thing now when I pick him up (out of his crib, to wash his hands, etc) and he doesn't want me to. He sticks out his legs and pushes against me with his feet. Driving. Me. Crazy. I guess he'll eventually stop when he pushes so hard, I drop him. Seriously. He's weighing in at 35 pounds now. And he's strong. Not cool.
Random #3: My grandma had hip replacement surgery last week. She's doing pretty well, but she has to go to a nursing home after this for therapy. I'm not gonna lie, this last part makes me nervous. I've seen this scenario play out before. Where an older person has a simple procedure done, then they go to a nursing home "just for rehab", and never leave. My grandma has always been extremely active. At 80, she was walking two miles every night with her sister. She would still go out dancing and visit her sisters at the beach. So this rehab better work. Or I'll be super upset.
Random #4: I did the P90x yoga a couple days ago, and oh my goodness gracious, I haven't been that sore in awhile. Everything hurt. I think I'll do it again.
Random #5: Lately, it has struck me as really comical at how passionately people (particularly women/moms) feel about their favorite stores. You're either a Walmart person or a Target person. We're obviously Target people (um, hello, they pay our bills). But even if they weren't our source of survival, I'm pretty positive I'd rather shop there than Wally World. However, if you prefer Walmart over Target? That's totally cool with me. We go there sometimes too, in a pinch. It's a preference. No need to get all hot and bothered over it.
Random #6: I have a summer dilemma. I need ideas on activities to occupy my toddler (um... and me). We're trying to save on gas, so going lots of places multiple times a week (keeping in mind that most fun places are at least 20 minutes from us) is out. We're also trying not to spend much money. So it has to be cheap. And just because that wasn't enough, it's also too hot to stay outside for more than 10 minutes at a time. Noah doesn't really know what to do with the plastic kiddie pool we have, and the sprinkler entertains him for all of 20-30 minutes. He's not interested in playdoh, chalk, coloring, etc. He thinks bubbles are fun for like 5 minutes. So yeah. I refuse to have my kid sit around in the house and watch tv/be bored all summer. So. Any ideas? I thought about getting a water table, but I hate to buy something and him just ignore it. Waste of money, y'know?
Random #7: The garden is making me all excited. I'm actually growing stuff that's going to be edible. We've had gardens in the past, but never this many plants. Also, our plants were never this tall and happy. I guess that's why you're supposed to fertilize them, huh? :)
Peppers...
Tomatoes...
(aren't the cherry tomatoes cute? And we have a TON of beefsteak tomatoes coming in, which I'm really excited about)
This year, I decided to try growing canteloupe. We eat so much of it every summer, I figured I'd give it a go. Someone must've thought it'd be funny to play a trick on the newbie garden growers and stick a "canteloupe" tag in a cucumber pot. NOT cool, people. I'm kinda bummed about it. I'm glad I like cucumbers... just not as much as canteloupe. I thought the leaves looked awfully similar, but I figured maybe they were from the same family. Oh well.
Oh, and someone (I don't remember who) asked me how we keep the pups out of the garden. Well, they're really not that interested, actually. But we have an invisible fence wire that runs all along the perimeter of our yard. If they get too close, they get a warning beep. We placed the beds right where they'd hear the warning beep. But they haven't really tried messing with it.
The one I really have to keep my eye on is the non-furry boy. He sees a big box full of untouched dirt, and he's all over it.




5 comments:
Good post! Ya, I am tooootally a Target girl. Mainly for my clothes and accessory and household decor shopping. I have found that walmart has pretty much the best deals on foods and paper goods...or maybe I haven't looked into Target's more in depth?? But- like my Mom always go to Walmart because it's the closest to her. She goes to the Denver one (on hwy16) because she says it isn't ghetto like the one on the corner of mt. holly/huntersville road. Whatever helps her sleep at night....lol. I want to get one of those water sprinklers too. I think that would help Brin on those days we don't do the pool. Have you gotten in the pool to play with Noah?? The first time, Brin just stood there, until I got in. I had to show her what to do and how to play and we brought in some bucket toys and she loved it. She was shivering when we took her out, but she was SO happy! I've noticed that Brin is hard to get out of her crib too! Why do they do that??? if she does, I turn the light off and shut the door and come back when she's ready to get out. If she wants to stay in there awake for 30 more min, I don't care!
and one more thing...your veggies look GREAT!!! so jealous of you right now. there is something SO magical of fresh homegrown veggies!!
I'm a Target person too. Unless Amazon.com has it cheaper with free shipping. I joined Amazon mom and now get free prime shipping... Yay!
As for the water table - its soooooooooo worth it. Evan and the big elementary kids down the street LOVE it. His other favorite outside toy is a trike - he can't peddle it yet, but it keeps him busy on the sidewalk while I garden. His favorite indoor toy is a wooden train set. If you can't find one on Craigslist or ebay, then I'd check out Ikea. Other keep-em-busy ideas include stringing Froot-loops, finger painting with pudding (make it with water, not milk) or kool whip, and big floor puzzles.
I have the same problem - we're starting to keep the TV on too much because it is waaaay too hot for Evan (and I) to be outside more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time. I also avoid sun exposure at the heat of the day since we're a nice even shade of ghost. :)
I'm also jealous of your tomatoes.
Bahaha! I LOVE your #1. And I like when D checks me out, too :)
And yea, the target/walmart debate is a hot one, eh? My blog can attest ;)
Since he loves dirt so much how about a sandbox? If you don't want to build one you could always use a water table and fill it with sand. Just an idea!
TARGET. We don't even have Walmart in Chicago and they scare me.
We have no store loyalty. We go to whatever store is the cheapest or most convenient. ABM shops at Food Lion because it is the closest to the house, even though we don't like most of their store brands. However, now that he has become interested in using coupons (yes, he's been watching Extreme Couponing) he is more willing to go to Bi-Lo or Harris Teeter because they double their coupons and Food Lion doesn't. I like the Great Value brand in Walmart's grocery section but we mainly shop there because it is open 24 hours.
As for the kid, I have NO suggestions because I'm a bad mum; I let my kids veg out in front of the TV or entertain themselves. However, if you need a short break for some Hailey time, C1 just loves toddlers :-).
Post a Comment