Friday, September 30, 2011

101

Today is what would have been my MamMaw's 101st birthday.
She lived to be 98, and I'd have given anything to see her hold my baby boy.


She was one heck of a lady.
Born in 1910, you can only imagine the things she got to see. I actually interviewed her on video back in college about her life. Not for an assignment, but because I wanted that history recorded. From her perspective. She described fond memories of games she'd play with her friends when they were young, where she worked, and how my grandmother slept in a dresser drawer when she was an infant. And of course, spoke plenty about her sisters that she remained close to until the end.
She talked about the Great Depression some and how hard it was. However, we were cautious not to make her uncomfortable, although I was dying to know how she felt about other not-so-glamorous parts of life. You see, she was virtually a single mother. She had married a man who was in and out of her life. Imagine being a single, working mother in the 1930s. Pretty sure it wasn't as acceptable in society as it is now. She endured some pretty heavy stuff. Yet despite that, she remained one of the most graceful, forgiving, and sweetest women I've ever known. You never felt one ounce of bitterness, judgement, or condescension. The woman never complained about anything. Ever. She successfully raised an amazing daughter, the valedictorian of her class. She was proud of her little mill house, the one my grandparents got married in, and the one she privately told me she wanted to stay in until she died. She almost got that wish, but for health reasons had to live with my grandparents. My grandmother frequently took her "home" though. That tiny home was the location of many Christmas Eve parties, holding 20+ people. And for me, it never felt cramped. It was cozy.

As a kid, I spent every Friday night at her home.
My parents would go on a date night, while I stayed with her. We would take walks through the neighborhood, sometimes all the way to the nearby Hardees for some ice cream, where she would proudly tell the cashier that I was her great-granddaughter.
We would visit neighbors, pick up "helicopter leaves", and walk a little faster passed the house with the mean looking dogs out front. I would fall asleep on her couch, listening to whatever baseball/basketball game was on. She loved sports.

As I got older, obviously the visits became less frequent. I would talk with her at our monthly family gatherings and all that. One night when Brad and I were dating, we decided to take her out for dinner (to the K&W... where else?). I don't think I'd seen her that happy in a long time. Just like when I was small, she proudly announced to everyone that her great-grandchildren had chosen to spend their Friday night with her. To make things ever better? Her sister arrived with her children, and she was so excited to show her that we had taken her out. She thanked us multiple times, and told us how it was so sweet of us to do this for her. I could tell she felt special, and that was my goal. I wanted her to know how much I still loved her, and I think she got it.
She loved Brad.
Brad made her laugh and took the time to talk to her at every family function. As her hearing declined, fewer and fewer people would attempt meaningful conversations with her. Brad never stopped making her feel special. I love knowing that she approved. She knew he loved me, and she knew he'd take care of me.
I had begged the Lord to let her live long enough to be there on my wedding day.
He did.
She was so happy, and I treasure the pictures with her in them.
Four months later, she went home to be with the Lord.
I was there with her the day before she died. It wasn't easy to see her that way, but I wanted her to know I was there. She lived a very full life. One filled with honor and grace and a love for Jesus.

My MamMaw was a fantastic quilter. She made all of her great-grandkids their own quilts, usually one for show and one for use. She must have known I would've wanted one for my kids. Before her hands stopped working well, she had taken the time to put another one together, with her daughter's help. At my baby shower, my grandmother gave me a baby blue quilt stitched together by my MamMaw. And of course, it took everything I had to fight back those tears.
It now sits in Noah's reading nook in his room.


I adored that woman.
Thankfully, I have the promise that I will be with her again.
But today, I wanted to celebrate her 101st birthday in my own way.
There's nothing really out there on the internet about her, except for maybe a small blip about her life span.
And that's now been fixed. Because she deserves way more than to be just a blip in history.


Happy 101, MamMaw!
We miss you.
xoxo.

4 comments:

Ben and Sara said...

What a sweet tribute! She sounds like such a neat lady. My grandma died three years ago on September 20th and it's a day I like to reflect on what a wonderful person she was. How comforting to know that we will both be able to see our grandma's again :)

Jess said...

This post made me cry. It's beautiful, maybe my favorite of yours, ever.

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

This is so beautiful. I love that quilt. My mom makes quilts and I will treasure them forever. I also have a special relationship with my grandma. She is 86 and I treasure every moment I still have with her.

Charbelle said...

Oh Hailey this post has made me cry. What a blessing. We're so fortunate to have such amazing families!!!