Thursday, September 1, 2011

Accent V-log

Yep. I'm jumping on the bandwagon.
Y'all have probably already seen these vlogs floating around in blogland. I usually steer clear of vlogs (something about that word is gross), mainly because it takes me forEVer to record, upload, then upload again (368 minutes, to be exact). But this one looked like fun, and since y'all don't really get to see me much, I figured... why not?

Accents crack me up.
I think the reason this particular vlog has been so popular is because it's fascinating to see how all of these people, who live in the same country, pronounce words so differently.

So some background info...
I've lived in NC my entire life. I've been to PA once. I've never been further west than the NC mountains (unless you count Cancun). I grew up with a very thick Southern accent (read: redneck). Over the years, it's gotten less intense. I blame all those northerners that moved down here (jk! don't send me hate mail!). So during most of my younger years, I heard phrases like, "I think I seen 'em goin' down yonder". Ironically, English/Lit turned out to be one of my best subjects. Go figure.
My husband's parents are from VA, but they moved out West when they were young. All of the kids were born and raised out there, for the most part. They moved here when Brad was like 7 or 8. So Brad doesn't have much of a twang, but he definitely says southern phrases.
(sidenote: I did a little shout-out to my SIL Sara who is from ID and calls soda "pop". Brad and I teased her a lot about it.)

I kept this quick, just because I don't have a fancy schmancy webcam. Had I made it any longer, you might not have seen this until next week. I also realized I don't have any great spots in the house to record myself. I had the camera propped up on top of the toaster, a cookbook, and a few magazines.
So here's me in my first vlog.
Be nice.
I'm rockin' the mom look (go tarheels!) , and I naturally feel a little weird talking to the camera.
(Link up, if you want to play along too!)



(another sidenote: those are golf balls on the floor behind me. and I've since learned that some people answer #2 as a "tank bug". never heard of that before. I forgot to mention that we're calling my stepmom "Mama D" for Noah. we'll see what he actually ends up coming up with for everyone, though.)
The instructions are to say these words:
Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught

And answer these questions:

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?

What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?

What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?

What do you call gym shoes?

What do you say to address a group of people?

What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?

What do you call your grandparents?

What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?

What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?

What is the thing you change the TV channel with? 

10 comments:

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

You are just as sweet as I pictured :) And you are more southern than I thought. You are so pretty, lady. xo

Holly-- The Storm Chaser said...

Hi! I followed you over here from Jenna's Journey! I'm loving everybody's vlogs! So fun. And I'm looking forward to following along with your blog too. Your family is too cute. We often have golf balls, soccer balls, baseballs, etc in our floor too! Not to mention goldfish crackers, popsicle sticks and sippy cups! Have a great day!

Ben and Sara said...

Thanks for the shout out :) I don't think I could ever get use to saying 'soda'.

Laurin said...

You are just too cute!

Jenna said...

You have the sweetest voice!

Thanks for linking up!!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

I can't wait to watch this when I get home!! ;-)

Jess said...

Always a gentle southern lady. And sir-up? NO. Woman. Seer-rup.

We're going to be down again for Thanksgiving...hopefully we can squeeze in a coffee. I've missed seeing you in real life!

So Loved Sisters said...

You looked really pretty in your video!!

Megan said...

I can definitely hear an accent in your voice. Love it!

The Life of Susan said...

you are so cute. like seriously so cute. mom look and all. loved this. :)