Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday Musings

So remember how I said in my last post how our Fall doesn't really hit until the end of October? Well, mother nature decided to tease me a little (because Fall happens to be my favorite season). It's been in the low 60's all weekend. And it's been gloooooorious. People are opening up doors and windows, having bonfires, going apple picking... Fall fever has officially hit our area.
Unfortunately, it's back to warm weather this week.
Don't mind me. I'll just be crying in a corner somewhere.
Either that? Or living in total denial and still lighting my pumpkin spice candles and wearing jeans as if I won't immediately burst into flames when I walk outside. Actually, after the heat this summer, 85 isn't too bad...
Anyway. I'll stop talking about the weather now.
Sorry.
Moving on.

We kicked off the weekend with our girls' Bible study. To catch any new people up, I help lead a teen Bible study with my little sister and her friends. We meet at my mom's house, which works out great. If Brad has to work, I have a built-in babysitter.
It's so crazy to see how much these girls have grown up, just over the summer. When we said goodbye for the summer, the girls were pretty reserved; it was like pulling teeth to get them to talk much. But this Fall, most of them have switched schools and haven't seen each other since starting back. I had anticipated a repeat of last time, so I came prepared with some "ice breaker" questions, a "women of the Bible" quiz, etc. Except this time? I couldn't get them to shut up!
It was great!
They went on and on about their new schools and friends and lockers. And to my shock, they all walked in with makeup on. Not too much, but just enough to make them look older. Changing schools for most of these girls, whether they wanted to or not, ended up being such a good thing. It's caused them to break out of their shells. And it helps that they're not together 24/7, so now they have something to talk about with each other. Of course, it's going to give me a run for my money trying to keep them on topic. But this is supposed to be fun, so I don't mind.
We've already got parties, movie nights, and craft nights in the works. They're a great group of girls, and incredibly mature for the age. It's going to be a good year.


I had noticed Noah rubbing his ears a little last week. He's been getting his molars in, so unless the pulling is coupled with a cold, I don't worry. So on Friday, when his nose started running and a cough ensued? I knew what was up. And of course... of course... it happens on the weekend. Thankfully, we go to a pediatrician who is open on the weekends. It's really wonderful having a doctor who understands that kids don't just get sick Mon-Fri between the hours of 8:30 and 4:30.
So Saturday, we headed on over to get him checked out. Sure enough, he has an infection in both ears. Poor little guy. He doesn't get them often, so we don't really need to take any extra measures yet. But I still feel terrible for him.

Last night, we were supposed to go to my grandparents' for birthdays, but my granddaddy just had surgery last week. There's also a pregnant cousin and a baby, so I decided (especially since the antibiotics hadn't even been in his system for 24 hours) that it'd be best to skip it this time. Noah was still coughing up a storm and just looked like he felt pitiful.
So instead, we had ourselves a little back yard bonfire.





Everyone else have a good weekend?

1 comment:

So Loved Sisters said...

thanks again for coming to bible study!! Also I really like your new blog header!