Monday, October 10, 2011

progress and fall fun.

Ok, first off, I have to say a BIG thank you to everyone for all the encouraging comments, emails, thoughts, and prayers. Each one of you said exactly what I needed to hear at the moment. And even though I'm doing alright (I mean, it's certainly not the end of the world), it's nice feeling like you've got some peeps behind you, cheering you on, rooting for you and your family. So thanks.

***

Like I said, I put my game face on and decided to go ahead and start tackling some of this stuff. And I'm already seeing progress. So far this weekend, I got Noah to pretend feed his Cookie Monster (he never pretends to feed anything). It's a little playdoh kit where Cookie Monster actually "swallows" the food you feed him. I made it all fun, chomping noises and everything. And he loved it. He still has trouble putting the playdoh on the spoon to feed him, but he was working hard at figuring it out. He would hold the spoon, then hold the playdoh in place with his fingers. :) Close enough.
We did a lot of back-and-forth play. He's very good at taking turns. He's also started finding things and bringing them to show us. He loves to help us "clean up", which most of the time turns into him just finding random objects and handing them to us. And of course, we're all, "Thank you Noah!" This morning, I got him to work a puzzle (and he aced it with no problems) and build blocks (which he usually just takes apart or scatters across the room).

I think I've figured out (at least some) how Noah is wired. I'm used to kids who just pick up on things. Obviously, not completely on their own, but for the most part, the kids I've been around seem to figure things out fairly quickly and painlessly. But Noah isn't really like that. I have to show him every little move. Once I show him, he's got it. And really, I'm the same way. Show me what I need to do, and I'll do it. But I won't know unless someone tells/shows me. So that's my biggest goal. Dissect every task we need him to accomplish and show him each step of it. Hopefully, this will help.

At church yesterday, he was with one of my friends in the nursery (I guess it's more like Sunday School? It's not really "nursery" anymore). She knew about his evaluation last week, so I filled her in on everything. It made me feel better knowing someone was with him who understood. Except when I went to pick him up, I noticed he was wet on the front of his shirt. She felt awful and explained that they handed the kids cups of water at snack time, and she didn't realize he didn't know how to use an open cup. And of course, it went all down the front of his shirt. At least he tried, right? :)

***

Over the weekend, there was a fall festival at our favorite nearby park. Brad had to work, but Noah and I decided to check it out.
Yeah. It was packed. People everywhere. I didn't realize you could even fit that much stuff in one park. Noah was such a good boy and held my hand practically the whole time. It was all a bit much for him.

Ok, I'm now going to give you full permission to make fun of me. Because at one point in time (before becoming a mom), I would've laughed at me too.

We leash our child. But only in overly crowded areas, where if he darts off, we may lose him. Or in parking lots. He's gotten a million times better about it, but we still use it every once in awhile. Just in case.
Plus? It's really, really cute. We got him the kind with a little monkey backpack. We usually get one of two reactions: the "omg, you LEASH YOUR CHILD???" look or the "omg, that's SO CUTE" look. It's usually the latter, thank goodness. I can only handle so much of the first one.



They had all kinds of face painting and stuff, but I knew how that'd go.
He was just as happy to wander around and take it all in.
Plus, he found this really.awesome.stick.
Who needs face painting when you find the most awesomest stick ever?


We took it home.
It's been added to the list of "favorite toys".


 It was pretty warm out, so I decided to take him by the General Store for some ice cream. We sat outside and did some people watching.


He LOVES to watch himself. If he finds his reflection somewhere, he's occupied for awhile. He gets it from his daddy.



And that was pretty much our weekend. :)
Hope everyone else had a good one!

1 comment:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Cute pictures and I have always wanted to get one of those monkey leashes!! I think they are awesome.

It sounds like Noah is already making progress. You just needed to know what to do with him.