Brad and I both have gone back and forth on if/when I could... should... write about this topic. It's not that we're living in denial or being all aloof or anything like that. We're just cautious. Even though I technically don't have hundreds of followers, I do have a lot of lurkers (and I mean that in a non-creepy way. just people who read and don't comment). So for that reason, for our family's own privacy, I haven't talked much about what's been going on behind the scenes. We needed some time to process.
But there have been some challenges.
Everyone faces challenges, obviously. It's different for everyone. For me, though, the emotional toll it takes is magnified when it deals with your baby. It does more than make you worry; it pierces your soul. Everything in you aches for your child to be okay. To understand that what we choose to do for them is just that... for them. And hoping that those decisions are the right ones.
Today marked the beginning of a new journey for our family.
It's no secret that Noah still doesn't talk much. If at all. It also doesn't help that he's the size of a 3 year old with the vocabulary of a one year old.
But it's more than that.
He doesn't really do much pretend play, outside of playing with his cars/trains/etc. He doesn't follow directions well. The back-and-forth in play is minimal. Socially, he still mainly plays around kids, not much with kids. His skill levels are behind... he doesn't blow bubbles, drink from a straw, or proudly show us a toy/drawing/anything. There are some red flags there, that we were already aware of, yet not quite certain they're worth worrying about yet.
This morning, he had his Early Intervention evaluation. The ladies were, of course, very sweet and patient with him. He hadn't had breakfast yet, so they waited on him to eat (because before breakfast, it was a waste of their time. lol). He interacted well, decent eye contact, smiled, all that. One went through her repertoire of games, while they both asked some questions. We answered as thoroughly and as honestly as we could.
After they were through, the ladies proceeded to give us their assessment. We weren't shocked to hear that he's behind, however the extent to which he's delayed was hard to hear. Developmentally, he's falling around 15 or 16 months. I have to admit, that pill was difficult to swallow.
We discussed some of his mannerisms, and at this point, even though she sees some of the red flags, she's not convinced of autism. Basically, we were already on the same page as her with what we've observed about him (and being on the same page with them was a biggie for me). The problem is that none of us are sure about why he's behind. Because even though he displays some of the warning signs, there are plenty of other areas in which he clearly counteracts them. She's definitely apprehensive to label him right now. We all agreed it's only fair to give him time to catch up. She encouraged us that he has an amazing foundation to work with, and that she expects to see some really great progress with him. She assured us that he's obviously a very healthy, happy little guy. He just has some catching up to do.
But of course, in my head, my momma brain is running a mile a minute... "Did I do something wrong?", "Have I not challenged him enough?", "Have I baby'd him too much, thus elliminating the need to talk?", "Was it those times I forgot to take my prenatals?", "Is it genetic?", "What if we can't afford therapy? How will we pay for it?", "Is it something in his environment?", "What if it's not me/us at all? What if it's something else?" I try not to let my mind wander there too much. Over the years, I've gotten pretty good at controlling where and how far to let myself go, in terms of mental/emotional stuff. Because if I go too far, it's not going to do anyone any good, especially Noah. And right now, I have to put on my game face. Not just for me, but for my family.
We all coped differently after this was all over. Noah was clearly pooped out and basically lounged around for a couple hours before going down for an early nap.
Brad passed out on the couch, almost immediately after they left. He's always done this when he's overwhelmed. When we went for our first ultrasound, he slept afterwards. When we found out we were having a boy, he slept afterwards. It's his way of processing. He has a lot on his shoulders already, with work and being the sole provider of our little family. But to add this to it, wondering how it's all going to work out, is a lot to handle. Right now, he's at the driving range.
And me? I blog. :)
What I have to remember is that this is all not an accident.
God has a reason. He has a plan. I have no idea what He intends to do at this moment, but I do know this... He is good. He is holy. And He loves us.
He is bigger than anything life has to throw at us.
I have to trust that He is perfectly capable, that He has my baby in the palm of His hands. It's just another valley that we're walking through, but I know that our joy comes with the morning (Psalm 30:5). His grace is sufficient for me, and His power is made perfect in my weakness (2 Cor 12:9). So while I could sit here and worry, I'm choosing to rely on His strength and wisdom to get us through this season. I'm choosing joy. I have an amazing support system... a mom who is no stranger to child development; family members with listening ears; friends who lend their wisdom and encouragement; a sweet-natured little boy who somehow knows when I need to rock him like a baby, quiet tears streaming down my cheeks; and a husband who loves me during (and in spite of) my moments of "Why the heck can't anything ever be easy?!" :)
So yeah. We'll figure this out. We'll get through it. But for the sake of honesty, and for documenting our family's journey, I felt it was time to share a little.
Keep my baby in your prayers. I'd appreciate it.


7 comments:
I don't have words for the respect I have for your courage. And for how hard it must be to pick joy today. If everyone had that kind of grown up love, the I love you forever kind, the I love you for you kind, then we'd be in heaven. Kudos for you.
Oh Hailey. You guys are amazing parents and doing the best you can for Noah. I think it's so great that you can do what's best for him although it may be a hard pill for you to swallow. In the end, I just know that your little guy will catch up and be right on 'track' (Whatever that means bc as a teacher I know that they are all SO SO different!). Thank you for sharing this though so we can keep him in our prayers ;) xo
praying for you and your sweet boy! thanks for sharing it with us so we can join in the prayers and support. you are an awesome mama and doing a great job raising noah!
I'm keeping you and the fam in my prayers. Noah is a lucky little guy to have a mom with such a wonderful attitude, in spite of what the world is throwing at you. He is destined to be great!
Keep holding on to that faith. It all works out.
If you go back and read my blog through the last 2 years you will find many posts almost exactly like this one.
I understand what you are feeling right now. Please know that things will get better. The feelings of guilt and worry will go away but it's going to take time. It's nothing you did or did not do. Trust me on that. There are twins where 1 has autism and the other does not (Not saying Noah has autism).
Everything is going to be OK and you are right - God has a plan. Please know I'm always here for you if you want to talk. It's so overwhelming to hear your boy is "delayed". I know how much that hurts to hear. I was devastated after that first EI evaluation too.
Ryan told me about this blog post today when he got home from school (somehow I missed it!?) and I went straight to my comp to read for myself. My heart breaks for you. I hope blogging about it was theraputic for you because it sure was for me. You two are amazing parents and Noah is so lucky to have you guys! Every kid develops differently. It is so hard not to compare, but don't get discouraged. You guys are amazing. Hearing bad news from a dr is so annoying and frustrating and overwhelming. You guys have such a wonderful family support system so close and everyone here over blog-land LOVES you. We're here for you. Love you guys!
Post a Comment