Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas... Round 1... ding!ding!ding!

Christmas for our family is one wild ride.
If you were around to read Noah's birthday month, you know we love ourselves a good celebration. It gets a little silly, actually. We literally made a twenty mile drive four times in two days this past weekend.
But it was so worth it.
Just the simple fact that we're blessed with this much family is worth the extra $6 in gas.
Anyway, you'll have to bear with me. For my own personal documenting purposes, I plan to write about all of our Christmas ridiculousness. Be prepared for a week full of obligatory Christmas posts. ;)

So without further adieu...

Christmas Eve.

Normally, we get together at my dad's first on the evening of Christmas Eve. Things got switched around this year, though, so we did our Christmas with him earlier in the day. It actually worked out great. We had lunch, relaxed, and opened gifts when we were good and ready. No rushing around.




(is this not the cutest wrapping paper? the boys got the "naughty" paper, the girls got the "nice" paper)
 (have I mentioned that my step-mom is also a sign language interpreter?)

Poor little Noah still doesn't quite get the gift-opening concept. Honestly, it made me a little sad. But once he realized what was under that paper, he was all about playing with his new stuff.
I think because we just had so much going on, it was overwhelming for him. So Noah had what I call a "progressive Christmas". He took a good 2 hours to open 4 gifts. :)
Once we opened one, he immediately wanted to play with it and ignore the other gifts.
Noah's favorite gifts were a basketball goal, a car, and a Leapfrog cell phone.




My dad done gone 'n lost his mind when it came to my gifts.
Honestly, this has probably been the best Christmas I've had, gift-wise, in a very long time. Probably because for the first time in a long time, I actually gave people decent ideas instead of saying, "Oh, I don't know... I'll be happy with anything..." I mentioned in my last post how my dad has always been one for style. And this doesn't only apply to him. He has impeccable taste in every arena... kids' clothes, women's clothes, home decor, building designs... it's a gift. I mentioned how I love anthropologie to him before. On Christmas Eve, he told me how he somehow had never been in that store... he and my step-mom ended up staying in there for a good hour.
And then he lost his mind.
Because he not only gave me a very generous gift card (which is what I had requested), he also picked out a top, some flare khaki cords, and some silk pj's. I was so SO excited. I haven't gone shopping for myself since Noah was born. And before that, it was for maternity clothes. This was so needed. Actually, I told Brad that the majority of my outfits now? My dad picked them out.
So yes.
I'm 29 years old and my daddy still dresses me.

My brother gave me a beautiful pair of fancy earrings, which I proudly wore for the next 48 hours.
Even in my pj's.
 
My dad gave Brad one of the best gifts.
See, Brad is obsessed with this notion that our floors are sinking. He's had everyone he knows check it out with him. My dad, who was a custom home builder for almost his entire life, even went in our crawl space to make sure we were good. And we are. He also took out his leveler and showed Brad that it's only off by 1/4 of an inch, and the only reason is because of a beam that's positioned a little too high (no, unfortunately our home wasn't built by my dad... we would've had to rob a bank first). 
Still, Brad didn't let it go.
He continues to walk around our house, gliding along the floors with his feet, to see if there's any change in the floors.
So what did my dad give him?
A level. So he can check them every day, properly. :)

We gave my dad a photobook of Noah. We started that tradition last year, where we document each year of Noah's life, up to his next birthday. I include a ton of pictures of he and Noah in there too. He loves it.





We stayed until Noah was ready to crash (which he did in the car). Once he was rested up, we headed on over to my mom's for our Christmas with her.
Which will be in the next post. :)



2 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Oooh! Sounds like you have an awesome dad! Please post photos of your new clothes! ;-) Henry did the same thing. After he opened a gift he just wanted to play with it for awhile before moving on. Keira was greedy and had us opening presents at a marathon speed. :-)

Anonymous said...

Here's a random fact...I'm Noah's Dad also! :)

Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas!