Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Round-up

Maybe "round-up" isn't the right word.
This has no association with weed killer.

***

I know just about everyone out there is busy doing their holiday thing, so my feelings won't be hurt if nobody reads this. However, for my own memories and documenting, I decided to go ahead and post.

***

This time of year, our family celebrates not only Christmas, but also my dad's birthday.
Monday evening, we all got together for a birthday party. And while it did include a tree and a few Christmas decorations, the rest of the party was totally about my dad.
Pizza, wings, enchiladas... party food galore.

(Brad and his "bone bag")

 



It was just my stepsisters and their boyfriends, my brother and his girlfriend, and our little family. Really, that's all we needed. It gets loud enough with just this crew.



Noah, being the only grandkid, fully enjoyed having all of the attention.
 He showed off his counting skills (he likes to count the bricks).


His organization skills (I'm sure his "Mama D" appreciated that).


And his natural talent for making people want to tickle him.
He can't help it.
That little belly of his screams "tickle me!"

 

While people have told me all my life that I look just like my mom, I'm thankful that I got the majority of my daddy's personality. Not that I don't love my mom's spunk, big heart, and firecracker fiestiness. But it's no secret I took after my dad in the personality department.
He's soft-spoken, sweet-natured, and very laid back.
(I actually like to think this is ultimately where Noah gets his personality from.)
There's not a person on this planet that doesn't like my daddy.
He's patient, giving, and humble.
He works hard and does everything right the first time.
And while he went through that 70's long-hair hippie stage, he's always had an affinity for style. I grew up with a daddy that looked like he'd just walked out of GQ magazine. It wasn't just adults that noticed either. I remember in 5th grade, my dad came to pick me up from a school field trip at a park. One of my girl friends asked, "Hailey, is that your dad?? He's hot!!" haha!
But he's never been "too good" for anyone or anything.
Growing up, I spent plenty of Saturdays hanging out at houses they were building, sweeping while my dad nailed the floors down. All of our cabinets were built by him. He's so incredibly talented. It's such a shame these big-box stores are taking away from those with gifts like his.
I get my crafty side from him.
He was the one to help me with all of my school projects. Unlike most kids, I actually wanted to help do them myself. Yet, somehow I got stuck with the easy jobs like holding the glue stick.
He's a perfectionist, but not to the point where it puts pressure on anyone.

My daddy obviously isn't perfect. But I love him.
Just hanging out with him is like therapy. Or yoga.
He automatically causes you to relax, enjoy life, and realize, "It'll all work out".



Happy Birthday, Daddy!

***

This week, we FINALLY got to do something I've wanted to do for the last 4 years.
It just seemed like every year, it never worked out. So Brad was determined to take me this year.

Not sure how many of y'all know this, but Charlotte is the home of the Billy Graham Library. And for those who have been living under a rock for the last 50 years, Billy Graham is a high-respected, famous evangelist. I was fortunate enough to attend one of his crusades when I was a teenager (complete with DC Talk... who are now in their 50's! wow, I'm getting old). My brother actually got to meet him once when he was volunteering at Samaritan's Purse. AND his wife (Ruth... google her for some of her stories. She was hilarious) was my mom's Sunday School teacher back in college (she went to Montreat where they live).
If you've heard of Operation Christmas Child, it's all based out of here.
Anyway, every year, the library does a Christmas event during December. Everything is free, except for the carriage rides (my guess is they had to hire out a separate company for that). I was so, so excited we got to go and glad we did.
It was crowded, but it was beautiful.





The inside of the library (which just documents his life... he's now in his 90's... and shares Jesus with people) was really awesome. Lots of pictures. Unfortunately, it was insanely packed inside, so we didn't stay in there too long. It was still fun to see. I'm going to come back when it's not so crowded.




We didn't go on a carriage ride, but Noah loved watching the horses go by.





I was so happy we got to go on this particular night, because my church's choir was singing Christmas carols there that night. They did a fantastic job.




They also had a live nativity scene, complete with camels.




It really was so fun. And FREE, which is even better.

***

Last night, we lost our minds decided to go to the mall. We were done with our shopping, most of the crowds were gone, and wanted to walk around without any pressure.
I had a coupon for Hallmark, so we stopped in there to pick up some cards. In order for the coupon to work, I needed to spend about three more dollars. I was getting ready to grab some candy or something when Brad walks up and hands the guy a box.
It was an early Christmas present.
He gets me one every year, but hadn't had a chance to grab one yet.
I have such a great guy.

 Melt my heart.
***

And now...

Gifts are wrapped...


...the house smells all Christmasy...



...and Santa's cookies are all ready for him.



We're off to begin our Christmas with my family.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!
Merry Christmas!!!

1 comment:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

You took some stunning Christmas photos!! Looks like beautiful Christmas. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas Hailey! xoxo