See, I've had this problem. I grew up in the same house for most of my life. I lived there for 20 years, basically, until I got married. In my old home, I knew where things went. They'd gone in the same places for years. My mom will be the first to admit she's total Type A, OCD, clean freak. It's her way of having some sense of control over life. I swear you could walk into our home at any point in time, as long as there weren't any major renovations going on, and it would be spotless. It's still that way. Growing up, we knew there were expectations of how things needed to be. Don't get me wrong; we still got to be kids. We'd grab our sleeping bags and slide down the stairs on them, all Slip-'n-Slide-like during sleepovers. We'd have pizza and movie nights in the living room. We made messes, but we knew those messes needed to be cleaned eventually. Everything had its place, and it stayed that way. We all had chores, and we did them. Because my mom said so. That's just how it was.
Fast forward to now. I could give you the entire story of how we got to where we are. Actually, I did, but just erased it, because it was going to take over this whole post. But after almost 5 years of marriage, I was at a loss. I didn't know where things needed to go. Where they should go. Where all of this crap that we couldn't throw away, but that didn't have a home, needed to go. If certain random objects should be thrown out/donated/kept. And where in the world to put all of Noah's toys. I needed an objective opinion. I needed my mom.
So yesterday, we spent five hours organizing. Along the way, she'd give me tips, which I promptly wrote down. I made a list of supplies that will make our lives a million times simpler and more organized. She gave Brad a little come-to-Jesus talk about how we can make our little home a "palace", and it's not that hard; we just need to agree on prioritizing what we want to do (like finally paint our kitchen!) to it.
In the meantime, this girl is extremely happy. I feel like I can breathe again.
***
While we were cleaning, Noah found his old high chair. And has been obsessed with it ever since. Yesterday, he fell asleep in it. This morning, he's eating his breakfast in it. It's actually really cute. And helpful.
***
We've been doing lots of crafty, simple type fun lately. Like cardboard box playing. And sidewalk painting. I prefer that over video games and tv any day.
(1 cup corn starch + 1 cup water, pour into muffin tins, then add food coloring)
I would also like to say how happy I am that android finally got instagram. I've been jealous of my iphone friends for a while now. I saw where some of my friends have uploaded like 5000 pictures already. I have a lot of catching up to do...
***
This time next week?
I'll be sitting right here:
I can't begin to tell you how excited I am.
I don't normally announce vacations before we actually leave, because that's supposed to be a big internet no-no. But I can't help it. Plus, our neighbors will be watching our house like hawks... with a loaded shotgun... ready for anyone that might try something. Okay, not really. But we do have a cop as a neighbor, so I'm not too concerned.
***
Speaking of our neighbors...
Ever since my bro-in-law came to get their trampoline from our yard, we've been looking to get one for Noah. He loves to bounce and jump, and he had so much fun on theirs. I felt bad that he didn't really have much to play with back there, except for his sand box.
Last week, our neighbor came over and said they were about to put their trampoline on craigslist, but they wanted to offer it to us first. For free.
I thought I might cry. Instead I gave him a hug. And eventually some cupcakes. We just couldn't justify spending the money at the moment, even on one from craigslist. So this was totally unexpected, but such a major blessing.
We have the best neighbors ever. And they've made one little boy very very happy.








7 comments:
AHH I am so jealous. Can she come martha stewart my home?!?!?! My mom isn't organized either so I'm kind of at a loss.
Ahhhhh our beach week is only in 3 weeks but STILLLLL. It seems so far away. I am totally ready for a beach lounge week!!! Plus, ry will be there 100% of the time instead of 20%, and that percentage includes his sleep time Hahahaha.
Totally gonna try the painting!!! So awesome.
Have fun at the beach house and Noah is so lucky to have that trampoline!!!
How fun to have your mom come help you out. The room and closet look great! I love when my mom comes she alwyas has such good ideas and is very resourceful.
I'm so glad you were able to get a trampoline. I told Ben how bad I felt taking ours back because I knew Noah loved it so much! But our kids were begging for it!
Have a fun next week!
awww lucky!! Everything looks great!! my mom is a total unorganized disaster like me so I have yet to find the balance in our house. We are working on it now though- even painted our dining room and office this week, woohoo!!
Trampolines are little boys best friends- what a nice gift! :)
My mom and my husband differ this way, mom can organize other people's houses but our house has so much because she doesn't like to throw stuff away. However, it's all organized! D can't handle clutter so our house stays organized unless Hurricane A is in residence.
So awesome about the trampoline and I'm SO JEALOUS y'all are going to the beach, it's been way too long since I've been.
I'm glad you are enjoying the trampoline and the cupcakes were delicious, but about that hug . . . ABM said nothing of a hug. He doesn't even let me hug him. How did you get to be so special? :-).
Post a Comment