Friday, May 25, 2012

lately

I feel like my poor ol' blog has been suffering a bit lately. Sure, I'm still updating, but as far as writing goes? Um... yeah. It's a little sad. And so is my reading, commenting, and replying to emails. Sorry 'bout that.

I've been trying out this new thing where I'm actually present in my family's life more. Less blogger, less pinterest, less facebook... any social media is being put to the side right now. People have made the comment before that I'm on Facebook all the time, based on my comments or status updates. What they fail to see is that those comments and updates take all of 3 seconds for me to type. After that, I'm outside with my kid again.

However, even though I feel like I'm a little more "in the moment" with my family, I still have times where I feel like I'm treading water. I literally felt like I'd been running in circles yesterday. I was constantly cleaning up messes, doing laundry, painting cabinets, praying one more Curious George episode would keep Noah happy long enough for me to load the dishwasher again. I was busy all day yesterday... but when I looked around? Nothing looked any different.
Brad has this weekend off, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get a few things accomplished.

So here's what we've been doing while I'm not blogging...

Crafts.
I'm a crafty person. I always have been. I used to love getting little jewelry making kits or art supplies as a kid. I like trying to instill Noah with a sense of creativity as well. For the most part, it works. Some days, he'll spend two hours drawing with sidewalk chalk. Other days, it's only five minutes.
And some days, like yesterday, he paints with sidewalk paint for a little bit, then leave me painting by myself. Oh well. It's therapeutic for me, I guess. :)



Popsicles.


Oh my goodness gracious. This kid is obsessed. Obsessed. I currently have a love/hate relationship with them. I love that they're healthy (they're full of pureed fruits and veggies... spinach, beets, sweet potatoes, strawberries, carrots, blueberries, bananas... recipe here), and I love that I don't have to worry about his vitamin intake because of them.
The hate part?
Well, I hate that for the majority of the afternoon, everything has purple spots. He gets it all over himself, the floors, the table. I try to make him eat them at the table or outside, but the boy is just too busy. Plus it's a pain trying to keep the dogs off of him when he's eating. He's right at their level, which is just too tempting for them.
I also hate that he won't eat solids now. Well, that's not entirely true. But he'd rather have popsicles than a sandwich. Every thirty minutes, he's dragging me to the freezer for another one. Yesterday, he ate seven popsicles. SEVEN. Any idea what all those fruits and veggies with minimal solid food does to a diaper? Yeah, you don't want to know.

He also doesn't quite understand the concept of waiting. Once I make more, he has a hard time getting the idea that we have to wait for them to freeze. Which results in a very unhappy toddler. He thinks I'm being mean, no matter how many times I show him they're not ready.
Needless to say, I'm picking up another popsicle mold today.

But, I am happy that he loves them so much. It's an easy way to get him to eat his veggies. So yay for that.

Sandbox Time.
He still loves the sand. He loves throwing it even more.


Poor Flash. You'd think he'd just move. Weirdo.

Jumping.
Noah has gotten wiser with the trampoline. He's realized it's not that fun when it's 90 degrees and the sun is baring down on us. So once the temp cools down, he's ready to jump.
(don't worry, he doesn't have some sort of weird skin disease. total popsicle face in these)








QT with Daddy.
I love it when Brad gets to be home with us during the evening. His job schedule sucks, so when we get to pretend to be a normal family with a normal routine? It's kind of fun.





Randomness.
For some reason, Noah thinks the soccer ball belongs in the corner with our wood scrap pile. (?)


Alright, we're off to the store to kill time, so Noah won't ask me for unfrozen popsicles for the next four hours.

Have a great weekend!!

2 comments:

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

I can relate a lot to the top portion of this post. It's part of the reason I gave up twitter all together because I 'felt' like I was giving off the impression that I was on there tweeting "all day long" and not being present with my child or family. Which, actually wasn't totally true. Like you said, takes a few seconds to respond. However, freeing up that area of my life is/was relieving in a way.

Although blogging for me isn't so much that. Since I blog when she isn't around, when she's asleep, napping whatever--it's more for me to process stuff. But I get ya.

I mean, we're out there living life, though.

Sounds like you all are having fun :)

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Being at work gives me lots of time to blog. I would rather be at home with my 2 naughty kids. :-)

I need to make healthy popcicles. Henry loves to eat them and I just buy the horrible sugary store bought ones. You have inspired me!!

Henry lives on Pop Chips, Baked Chips, and French Fries. It's horrible. He will eat yogurt and fruit but only when the mood strikes him. He does take vitamins but he gets almost no protein. It scares me sometimes. He will drink milk.

Noah has the bluest eyes.