Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tuesday Randomness

Sleep has been allusive for over a week now... well, for me at least. It started our last night in Kiawah when Noah fell asleep at the awful hour of 7:30pm. He took, what he considered to be, a very long nap. Woke up at 12:30am and was up until 4am.
The boy doesn't really take naps anymore. If he does, it's because I force him to lay in his bed for an hour until he finally gives in and crashes. The problem with him taking a nap? He'll want to party later, since he has all of this new energy. I try not to take a shower until after he goes to bed. There's nothing worse than a 2-year-old having free reign of the house.
So I get virtually zero down time. If I do? It means that I'm losing precious sleep. And lately, Noah has decided that 8 hours is sufficient for night time. And if he's getting eight hours, that means I'm obviously not.
Me and Little Man are going to have a come-to-Jesus meeting if this doesn't change soon.

***

I finally got my car stuff taken care of. On the third try.
That DA dude is a tough guy to get a hold of. Thankfully, Brad was able to stay with Noah yesterday, so I could go alone. Not my ideal way to spend some time away from the house totally kidless, but I'll take it.

***

Over the weekend, our town hosted an Autism Awareness festival. They had music, face painting, and entertainment. Noah has decided he loves to go down the slide all on his own, but not when there are a bunch of other kids around. They're usually bigger and louder, and he's just as happy steering clear of the madness.
My dad joined us, which was fun.



They had this bouncy slide thing that Noah begged me to let him go on. I knew what would happen, but I let him try anyway. The part to climb to get to the top was like a rock-climbing wall. There's no way he'd be able to figure that out. And just like I predicted, he went in, couldn't figure it out, and decided to play with the leaves in there instead. The poor lady offered to help him, but he wasn't having it.
That's my boy. :)



***

Noah can't get enough of the trampoline.
Yesterday, at 8:30 in the morning, it was the first thing he asked me to do. And while I'm so grateful it gives him something to do? The problem is that he wants me to bounce him. If I stop for a break, he gets really mad at me. It's both hilarious and annoying. At least I'm getting a good workout, right?

***

I showed him the other day how to work the nozzle on the hose. I love it when simple things like that can amuse a kid for a good 20 minutes.


Am I a bad parent for laughing when he did this?
I hope not. Because it was hysterical.



***

On Saturday, the men in my family (and me) met up at my aunt and uncle's house. About 18 years ago, my dad bought us one of those Rainbow swing sets. You know the kind that are supposed to last forever? Well, after we outgrew it, he gave it to my younger cousins. Now that they've outgrown it, it's just been sitting in their yard. So my dad got his trailer, and we headed down there to collect it for Noah. It's going to need some TLC, but everything is still in pretty good shape.

If you weren't convinced of my Southerness before, this might do it for you. Or at least convince you that my family sure is.
The swing set was hanging out in what my uncle refers to as "the hole". It's a spot on his land where he keeps all of his trucks, tractors, and random scrap metal/wood/etc. It's total boy heaven.


 
***

 Noah had his first visit with the ice cream man.
And of course, I was there with my phone to document. I got him a fudgesicle, but he decided he liked my treat better. Figures.



Watching him made me think of my little brother who, at the first faint twinkle he heard, would jump up and yell "ICE CREAM MAN!!" He proceeded to race through the neighborhood at lightning speed to find him. He didn't even have any money. Once my brother found him, he'd just stop and stare in awe of the man that drives a truck filled with ice cream. It was the cutest thing.

3 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

The guy who did my nails yesterday didn't know what 'autism' was. It shocks me when I meet someone who doesn't.

I'm almost done with Bloom. I love that book so much. Can't you relate somehow?

I love that photo of Noah spraying himself and yes I would've laughed too!

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

What a cutie pie!!!!! I'm sorry with his sleeping habits!!!! Ahhh that would drive me nuts! I can't function when brin wakes up in the middle of the night. Even when she just cries in her sleep, having to walk up the stairs, see what's going on, and then walk back downstairs always wakes me up too much, ahhhhh.

And that picture of him spraying his face is classic!!

Sarahsworld said...

Ugh! I hate when their sleep cycles go all wacky! The good new is that it doesn't last long. Hang in there :)