I've mentioned before on here how I help lead a teen girls' Bible study with my little sister.
They know how I've been wanting to get a little more experience under my photography belt, so when I asked if they'd be willing to help me out? I couldn't even finish the question. They already blurted out, "We can model for you!!" To say they were excited is an understatement.
This doesn't quite qualify as a "senior shoot", since well... they're freshmen. But it doesn't matter. It was just for practice. And as far as I know, there's no rule saying you can't document your kid in pictures before they hit 18. Anyway, I just needed new faces. And perhaps a model that wasn't covered in peanut butter and constantly running away from the camera.
I'd like to say here that I completely understand why the *P*hotographers suggest doing free practice shoots before ever going pro. I was so nervous going into this. I've never bossed anybody around (other than my sister) when it comes to taking pictures. I'm also not really the posing type. Meaning I like to catch moments... natural smiles, real laughs, and unique quirks... things that make the person who they are. But I knew we'd all be completely lost if I didn't have a few ideas on what to do with them.
And then I'd second guess myself. What if my ideas totally sucked?
What if they're incredibly awkward in front of the camera and none of this works??
Their parents knew I was taking pictures of their girls. What if they had high hopes for ridiculously awesome portraits, and I couldn't deliver?!
Clearly, I need to take some Valium before a shoot next time.
Thankfully, they were patient with me and easy to work with.
And thankfully, we had an amazing spot.
One of the girls lives next door to an abandoned lot. It's absolutely gorgeous, complete with bridges, wooden swings, a massive fire pit, creek, and even horses (don't worry, they didn't abandon the horses... they live next door). It was so pretty, and it was nice to have the place to ourselves.
I had also asked them to bring along any props of things that they're interested in. We had a couple of volleyball players, photographers, and even a budding musician.
I had also asked them to bring along any props of things that they're interested in. We had a couple of volleyball players, photographers, and even a budding musician.
First up, Bethany.
She's actually moving away this summer.
These girls have been together for years, and it's going to be sad not having sweet Bethany around.
And of course, my little sister was there.
She's always so easy to take pictures of. Not only is she naturally gorgeous, but she doesn't mind me telling her what to do. Of course, I've been doing that for the last 15 years, so she doesn't know any different. :)

Then there's Lindsey.
She has such a unique beauty. Like a little fairy.
And that hair? Gorgeous.
This little cutie also joined us. Her older sister Kelsey is in our Bible study. Little Cami wants to be a model some day, so when she heard about the photo shoot, she jumped at the chance to be in it. :)
I have to say, the girl really is a natural in front of the camera.
Not one single awkward moment or pose.
Her older sister Kelsey is also really photogenic.
From what I hear, their mom is constantly asking them to pose for the camera, so I guess they're just use to it.



















6 comments:
These are SO good! I'm sure these girls were thrilled to have these nice pictures too. You could totally do senior pics and supplement your income this way.
That redhead does look like a fairy! And the one who wants to be a model should start now!
So nice! Gorgeous pictures. Not over worked, and not over posed either. Love it. Youve got an eye for this!!!
Wow...gorgeous pictures. Good job!
Hi I saw you comment on A lil story and came over to visit. These portraits are great! I actually just did senior pics for our Church High school. I love your blog of you and your sweet boys :)
It's hard, isn't it? Thinking something will work, and then it doesn't. Or thinking it won't, and it does. Trying to make your ideas translate.
Practice before business is SO huge. I spent two years portfolio-building before I even contemplated working. And even now, I'm still refining my style, my process.
I can see you growing. So much. And I'm SO GLAD that you're doing this for yourself.
Hailey, the pics look great. I think they would have been better if I was in the background of them.
Post a Comment