Thursday, June 14, 2012

Perfect Family (another practice shoot)

Be prepared for a photo dump.

I met Susan almost a year ago at a morning Bible study for moms. She's one of those naturally caring and graceful people. Always something kind to say, yet honest about everyday struggles we all have. And even after having three little ones, one right after the other, she still manages to always be calm and sane. All of us girls were so excited when she announced she's expecting her fourth baby!



When she asked me to take her family's pictures, I was not only looking forward to the challenge of coordinating three toddlers, but getting a glimpse of her in action, in full supermom mode.
I was also excited to try out some maternity photo ideas. She'd never had any professional maternity portraits done with the previous babies, so she definitely wanted a few of those.

I was completely blown away by their children. 
Once the session was over, I told her and her husband that I can definitely see why they keep having more. I have never met toddlers more obedient, happy, and... well... perfect.
There was zero fussing, arguing, pushing, or other normal toddler shenanigans. They genuinely love each other, and it was such a beautiful thing to see.



 (I was taking just a few Mom & Dad shots when I saw this in the corner of my eye. They did this completely on their own)

Not only were these babies perfect, but they were amazing in front of the camera. As soon as I lay the quilt down, they all plopped down and immediately smiled at the lens. It was unbelievable.


Even Thomas, the one year old, would randomly stop and pose for me. Totally unprompted. I don't think it could get any easier.







I think my favorites are the ones where I would catch a random moment. As I would be snapping shots of Susan or one of the other kids, I would see sweet moments happening in the corner of my eye. Usually these happen when the camera isn't pointed in their direction. I swear those eyes in the back of my head that I inherited once I became a mom really come in handy for times like these.





You would think that parents of three (soon to be four) children would be totally frazzled and stressed, especially at a photoshoot where you want everything to go perfectly.
There was zero tension with these two. You could tell they get so much joy out of these little guys.





As for the maternity photos, I'm really happy with them. They're actually waiting to find out what they're having, which I don't know how they're managing. It's killing me not knowing, and I'm just a friend!







I'm pretty sure I hit the jackpot of photoshoots with this family. Easy-going; adorable; cooperative, happy kids... so excited I got to practice on such a perfect family.


4 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Hailey these are beautiful!! They must be so thrilled. I love how the green in the boys shirts matches the scenery so his blue eyes pop. The one of the little girl peering over the bushes is TDF!!!!

You are a pro!!!!

Lauren said...

Love your photos! Wanna do a mother-daughter shoot in July? :) (I'm Ethan's wife - from RCS). We waited to find out what we were having too and will do that for all future kids...there is NOTHING like finding out when your baby is placed in your arms!

Jess @ Wrangling Chaos said...

For me, 98% of the time, it's the shot right before, or right after. The one where everyone is getting into the pose. Or the one when they think the shot is finished.

Those photos? Those are amazing. It's why I never stop shooting. I keep the camera on my face, at the ready, because once everyone thinks it's all done, the moment is perfect.

These are beautiful.

Ben and Sara said...

Great job! The pictures are beautiful!