Friday, June 29, 2012

supermom moments, not-so-superwife moments

While I always knew when I was younger that I wanted to someday be a mom, there was one particular aspect of the job requirement that had me a little worried... puke.
I don't handle that kind of stuff well. When we were dating, if I found out Brad had a stomach bug? I avoided him as if he had contracted some sort of leprosy plague. Girlfriend of the year right here. I knew that getting through 18 (or more?) years of parenting without having to deal with this kind of grossness was pretty much impossible. So I worried about how I'd handle it.
Turns out that once you have a little one of your own, you suddenly become immune to their disgustingness. I mean, nobody exactly enjoys it when a tiny person poops on them. But because their yours (and you can't exactly just hand them to a stranger and tell them to deal with it), you learn to rise to the occasion. Make a face, tell them they stink, whatever... but ultimately, you learn to get over the gross parts of your kids. Their sudden need for you to hold them, for that security, trumps your fear of actually catching it. I mean, that didn't stop me from Lysoling the place up and down... but still, my baby needed me.


Noah caught his first stomach bug the other day. He was so pitiful, and it made me sad for him. The whole ordeal actually freaked him out. He would start crying every time he got sick, because it scared him. Not being able to understand what's happening to you has got to be terrifying. So yeah, I got over my aversion real quick as soon as those sweet, teary baby blues looked up at me for help.
Thankfully, it was super quick, and he was almost back to normal yesterday.

***

Brad's birthday is on Sunday, and I have absolutely NO idea what to get him.
I tried to plan a birthday/July 4th bash for him, but three days after putting the info up on Facebook, we only had 1 RSVP. That's just sad.
I swear we have friends. They just all had plans already. I mean, it was kind of a last minute idea... but still. It made me look like I have no friends. :)

I have two days until his birthday. No gift, no party, nothing.
I should probably get my act together and figure something out.

***

Unrelated: I have a couple of favorite recipes up over at the poop whisperer from yesterday and today. Just in case you happen to actually have big party plans and are looking for some July 4th ideas. :)


4 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

The same thing happened when I tried to plan a belated Bday party for Keira next weekend. No one could make it. NO ONE!! So I threw her an impromptu one last night. :-)

Henry threw up on me once in the car when I was riding in the back seat next to him. That was pleasant.

Unknown said...

aww the poor little dear. PS in my friday favorites I featured your poop whisperer chocolate delight post! You're awesome :) http://www.lovelylifeofleah.com/2012/06/leahs-five-friday-favs_29.html

Lily Dawn said...

Stomach bugs are the worst! my boys all three had one at the same time- our house didn't smell right for weeks... but totally true, when it is your own, you can deal with it :)

And I'm sorry about your party- it is so hard to plan birthdays around holidays (the twins bday is December 21st, we always have a hard time planning anything) :)

Charis Faith said...

What did you end up getting him for his birthday? Daron's birthday was the 3rd. From Audra he got his cologne from me he got sheets.

I hate that y'all have all been sick :(

The 4th I had my race, then spent time with my mom, then had to clean the office.