Last night, I sat down to blog and couldn't come up with anything great. While I have plenty to write about, I just wasn't "feeling it". The content was there. The motivation and inspiration? Notsomuch.
However, after Noah's 3 yr well check today, I suddenly have the urge to type until the keys fall off. Everything went well. His doctor asked about his progress, therapies, etc. He did the reflex check, listened to his heart, and all that routine stuff. The nurse pricked his finger, which was super sad. He looked at her like, "WHY did you DO that???" Like she was his best friend, then took his favorite toy away. It was awful.
Anyway, the pediatrician and I talked about his sleep issues (which are getting much better, btw), and other concerns.
Then he proceeded to tell me that Noah falls in the category of "obese".
I'm pretty sure the look on my face was priceless.
While Noah has never been skinny, I know what obese is... and he ain't it!
His doctor then went into his lectures about Noah's diet. It went a little something like this...
Dr: "Now you'll want to cut back on anything with caffeine: tea, soda, chocolate..."
Me: "He doesn't have any of those things. He doesn't even drink juice."
Dr: "Well, you have to be careful. Sometimes grandparents can be sneaky and give them things they aren't supposed to have..."
Me: "I don't think that's a problem. I didn't have a cupcake until I was 21 (obviously an exaggeration, but I think I made my point clear)."
Dr: "Make sure he gets at least an hour of active playtime, either outside or some activity indoors when the weather is bad."
Me: "He jumps on the trampoline outside and plays on his swingset. We also have a mini-trampoline that he jumps on throughout the day indoors. When the weather is bad, we go to Monkey Joe's where he jumps and climbs the whole time. He's constantly running."
Dr: "Make sure to limit his screen time to 2 hours a day (which I thought that was a bit much)."
Me: "Even when the tv is on, he's usually busy doing something else."
Dr: "Limit his milk intake to 3 a day, which includes milk, cheese, yogurt..."
Me: "He won't eat any of those. I can't even get him to drink milk right now."
Dr: "Try to get at least 5 fruits and veggies in him a day. I know his diet is pretty limited, so just do the best you can."
So basically, every piece of diet/exercise advice he had was completely useless for Noah's case.
His cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure are all excellent. I know my kid. He's not some slug that sits around all day, watching tv, and eating junk food. We're active. Do we have our sluggish days where I let him veg out on chips (which are always baked) and watch as much Curious George as he wants? Of course! But that's not our normal day. Like right now, as I'm typing this, Thomas & Friends is on the tv, but he's not paying it any attention. He's too busy playing with his Thomas playset.
Here's a picture from last night at his birthday dinner at my mom's house, modeling the new adidas outfit his Aunt Madison gave him.
Oh yeah. Totally obese. *rolls eyes*
You know, I tend to pride myself on the fact that I stay pretty laid-back about things. But I swear, if one more person over-analyzes my kid and gives me MORE to worry about, I just might lose it. lol.

8 comments:
Noah is perfect and looking fabulous in that track suit!!! Hugs!!!!
Wow, really? That's ridiculous. He is FAR from obese.
Obese??! What?!?!?! OMG. I'm appalled FOR you! Wow. I'd start searching for a different Ped.
My kids are all 'big'. Not fat. Not obese. They are tall and their weight fits them. People tell me they are overweight/blah/blah...my Ped. says they are fine. In proportion to their height.
I'd follow your gut. Sounds like he's healthy and active and he looks PERFECT! ;)
I'm really angry for you!! He is NOT obese!! Not even close! He's probably just muscular and therefore weighs more. Duh!
Hi! Random reader here...sorry I haven't said hi before...but your son IS NOT OBESE!!! I'm so upset for you! I think Noah is adorable and you are the greatest mommy! Keep up your hard work and don't let what ONE Doctor said get to you.
Ahem-bullshit-ahem.
Please excuse my language but that totally makes me mad. He is clearly not obese. Not even close.
People say crap like this about our kids and wonder why they grow up to have eating disorders. There are some doctors who are excellent and then there are idiots who just went to school longer than the rest of us.
Ultimately, you are his mommy and you are doing a phenomenal job.
{{{HUGS}}}
Gabe was obese too. So they said. Never mind that he's almost 8 and has never had soda, and still drinks juice maybe twice a year, and prefers veggies over cake.
(he's so weird)
Now? He's so skinny his pants fall off. Doctors look at charts, not kids. He's an idiot.
Omgoodness... seriously?? I feel your pain on this one. Our pediatricians said this at almost every check-up with the twins for their first two years of life. They were always stocky, but it had nothing to do with their diet or exercise. They lectured me about sweets and juice and all that- and I was like they don't eat any of that!! So annoying!
Noah looks perfect (and totally adorable in that track suit :)
Post a Comment