Friday, March 8, 2013

Noah Update

 
 I've been wanting to do a Noah update for a while now, but it feels like every time I start a post, he does something new again!
His progress these last couple of weeks have been absolutely unreal. And compared to 6 months ago? He's like a different kid. Well, the same kid... but an enhanced version.
 
He's now repeating words, or at least attempting to. He'll take me to the freezer, and I'll ask if he wants a popsicle. His response: "Possssicle???" His little talking voice is so so cute. But he's going beyond just repetition and mimicking. He's actually using words to communicate now. Just the other night, he handed me the bubble bath container and said, "Bu-bu". He wanted bubbles in the bath, and he actually verbalized what he wanted. He knows who Jesus is, and he loves me to sing the Jesus Loves Me song. When I stop, he'll say, "Jesus". He thinks it's hilarious when I sign really fast.
 
He's picking up random phrases, and even though he may not understand what they mean yet, he's at least saying them. Every once in a while, he'll randomly start saying, "I know! I know!". So one night, I was changing his poopie diaper and told him he smelled... he responded, "I know!" haha
 
 
I'm not sure if any of you mommas out there have seen Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood yet, but that show? Totally sent from heaven. It's based off of Mr Roger's Neighborhood (they even kept the songs and characters on there). Anyway, they teach social skills, self-care (like brushing teeth), and routines. Every thing they do involves some sort of little song. Normally, I would think the songs are annoying (Brad goes around with their thank you song in his head constantly, lol), but I can't even begin to explain how much it's helped Noah. Now when it's bedtime, I'll say, "Okay, let's go brush your teeth..." and he immediately runs into the bathroom, ready to brush his own teeth. Of course I have to do a follow up brush, but the fact that he's showing that kind of independence is so awesome. The other night, he was watching an episode where they were preparing a fruit bowl. Daniel Tiger asked where the strawberries were on the plate. Noah didn't know that one, but he did see the apple and bananas sitting there, so he responded to the tv, "Apple! Nana!"
And I proceeded to fall on the floor into a weepy mess. No not really. But this kid definitely gets his own cheerleading squad every time he does something awesome like that.
 
 
His therapists are noticing all of the changes going on too. His special ed teacher told me how he seems to be progressing so much from week to week. Brad took Noah to his OT appointment last week, and she told him she could tell I've been working with him.
 
He can now trace almost all of the letters of the alphabet on his ipad and all of the numbers. He can still count up to 30 (I think he can go higher, but we can't understand the numbers after that) and go all the way back down. He's learning to spell certain words (thanks to the ipad), and those letters make sense to him that way.
 
 
He's seeking out social interaction with others, which makes me want to cry. I know he wants friends, but it's hard for him. And that part makes me sad. We joined a little playgroup recently, so I'm really hoping he'll find some good friends there. If anything, watching him be accepted by other kids will make this momma's heart hurt a little less for him. Kids love to play with him, but they get bored easily, since he doesn't understand phrases like, "Let's pretend you the monster, and I'm the princess..." or "Let's play duck duck goose". And for the first time last week, when other kids walked away, he stopped to see where they went. So this is happy and sad news. Happy that he wants to play with others, sad because he doesn't know how quite yet.
But it doesn't seem to bother him too much. He just keeps on playing, just as cheerful as ever. Seriously, this kid's attitude is amazing. That's the first thing that strikes people about him... his sweet personality and smiles. He can do no wrong. :)
 
I just love this kid more than I can even say. His progress has just amazed me, and it's only going to get better from here. He has the purest little heart, and that's going to take him so far in life.
 

 
Have a happy weekend, friends!
xoxo.

7 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Love his shorter hair! He looks so grown up!!

WE LOVE DANIEL TIGER! Brinley always sings, You can take a turn, and then you'll give it back. I can take a turn, and then I'll give it back. It is super cute and so quiet! A nice change for sure after Dora. :-)

Erika said...

He is doing SO GOOD! I am so happy for you all!

And we LOVE Daniel at our house too. It get annoying, sure, but our daughter loves it and asks for Daniel all the time:-)

Julie said...

Beautiful post. :)

Jess @ Wrangling Chaos said...

I know the feeling. It happens here too...like all of a sudden Liv has all this new stuff, and so I want to write about it but then there's more, and so on.

I'm so glad Noah is doing so well. Liv is starting to use words too, and every single one is like a tiny gift from God.

Ps. You need to move your photography site logo button thingy to the top of your sidebar. It's down too far and so people won't notice it and you're too good at what you do to let it hang out down there in nowhere land. Just sayin.

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

First. We love Daniel Tiger's neighborhood too. Henry also uses it as motivation to do things!!

Second. Noah's haircut is so cute on him!

Third. I'm so happy for his progress. I know how each word is a triumph! I 100% believe that one day our boys will be talking talking talking.

Fourth. Henry can't make friends yet either. Keira forces herself on him. It's one of my biggest worries.

Fifth. What app are you using that is getting Noah to trace letters? We need that! Henry knows them but he can't draw them yet.

Thank Hailey! xoxo

Maria said...

Such a sweet post! So happy to hear about all his progress and sunny disposition.
Also, Daniel Tiger rocks! Our morning schedule usually revolves around watching him. Our favorite is the potty episode; weird but motivating for the little guy :)

Sara said...

So good to hear Noah is doing so well and accomplishing so many new things. Love his haircut too!