Monday, April 8, 2013

thoughts (aka, my kid is pretty awesome)


April happens to be Autism Awareness Month. Last Tuesday was World Autism Awareness Day (aka. "Light It Up Blue"). We put a light on our front porch, and we wore our blue proudly.

I think while people are generally more aware of autism, I'm not sure they actually know what it looks like. I know I didn't before Noah. I had no idea so much of it was sensory related. I didn't know parents with autistic kids were a lot like newborn parents... begging for sleep, but not sure when/if it'll happen. I didn't know how expensive it is. Or how frustrating it can be for these people, to have the words in your head but no way to get them out (thank God for therapy and technology though!!). There's just so much more to it than just knowing it exists.

And while, yes, all of those things are challenging sometimes; I think the hardest part of this walk (for me) has been feeling like people don't get to really know my kid. My funny, silly, tender-hearted, incredibly observant, smart kid. His innocence is astounding. He literally doesn't have a mean bone in his body.


I feel like, so often, people don't invest as much in him, because he has autism. They pat him on the head, tell him he's cute, and go back to doing their thing. It requires a little bit more effort to establish a relationship with him, so they don't bother. As if he won't notice. Nevermind that if he's thirsty, he will definitely tell you now, "ilk" or "wa-wa". Or that he loves to pretend he's an elephant or "O the Owl" from Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. He loves swimming, bikes, jumping, and anything dirty. If you want his attention, sing a song he knows. Most likely, he'll do the motions with you.
He loves to paint. He knows how to count and will include "sero" (zero). He loves to be tickled, and he likes it when people give him hugs. He feeds off of love and attention. You should see him beam with pride when he gets applause.

The reason most people don't see these things is because he can get overwhelmed with the sensory input. If we're out and about, there's usually a lot of noise to go along with it. It doesn't always freak him out, but it does cause him to retreat inward a little bit. He doesn't try to communicate as much, and he goes from one interesting thing to the next. Also, if we're in a new environment, he prefers to explore instead of interacting with others. Part of that may be autism, but I think part of that is also being a toddler.

Thankfully, I do have friends and family who put in the effort to get to know him. Unlike other kids, he does require a little more effort when bonding with him. My dad is a really awesome example of a perfect grandparent for him (not that the other grandparents aren't, just using him as an example for now). Noah LOVES my dad, because my dad does anything and everything he can to do what Noah wants to do (but do it with him). If Noah wants to bounce or jump? My dad (and stepmom) will go in their room to their massive bed, and my dad will lift Noah high in the air and toss him onto the bed. Noah absolutely loves it. My dad knows that Noah loves music and takes him to play my brother's drums. He lets Noah sit and play in their garden bed, even if it will eventually mean having to buy more dirt for it later on (lol).
He knows how much Noah loves ice cream, so even though they don't eat it, they always have a carton in the freezer. Just in case Noah stops by.

They play games, let him take over their house, and do whatever it takes to have a real relationship with him. And it works.



5 comments:

Ben and Sara said...

What a sweet picture of Noah and your Dad.

Gina said...

That picture of Noah and your dad got me all teary. That's so huge that they have such a beautiful connection. I love putting time into my kids with autism because when we DO finally connect? It's so, SO awesome. So glad God put you and Noah together. I think you are so blessed to have each other. XO

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

He is such a sweetie!

Erin said...

I loved this post!! Noah sounds like an incredible kid!! And that picture of Noah with your dad at the end of the post? Stop.my.beating.heart. SOOOO precious!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Since you cut Noah's hair he looks so much like Henry. It freaks me out.

Henry doesn't have a mean bone in his body either. I think they are so innocent and sweet.

I agree with everything you wrote here. People gravitate towards Keira and it makes me sad for Henry. Even grandparents are guilty...