Monday, June 22, 2009

What NOT to Say...

I'm sure just about every pregnant woman goes through this at some point or another, but lately, it's surprised me at what people think is ok to say. So here are a few things I've heard that should probably just stay in people's heads:

"You're belly has gotten so big! Are you sure you're not having twins??"

- The reply in my head: "Those glasses your wearing are awfully thick. Are you sure you're not blind?"
- FYI, I just had a Dr's appt on Friday, and she said he's the perfect size... not too big and not too small. If that's the case, I wonder how I'd look if I really were expecting twins... I'd rather not think about it.

"You're never going to lose that baby weight"

- So let's just be REALLY discouraging, why don't we?? I may not be a size 4 anymore, but I am certainly NOT planning on staying this size forever.
- My cousin lost 20 lbs before she left the hospital 6 months ago with her little boy, and my mom said she lost 30 lbs the first week with me. Also, the Dr told me I'd lose a good 5 lbs if he put me on bedrest in the hospital, just because of all the swelling I've had.
- This was spoken by a man. Enough said.

"She's put on weight!"

- Yes, while everyone at my shower was saying, "oh, you look so cute!", "you're all belly", etc... my lovely grandmother says this to my mom.
- What do you expect? I'm pregnant. I'm carrying another person around.
- Funny how in the beginning, they try to shove all kinds of food down your throat saying, "you're eating for two now!", but when you're in the final stages and very pregnant, now you're a cow.

So there you go.

For those of you not pregnant, please think before you say things. I'm sure you don't mean to be rude, but certain things should just stay in your head.

For those of you who are pregnant, I think this must be some kind of rite of passage or test or something. I thought women were exaggerating when they'd complain about this stuff. Obviously not.

2 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

AMEN.

Oh my goodness this was the best blog post ever. It is amazing what people think is ok to say. You would think that most of the comments come from women so they would understand the emotions and stress that comes with being pregnant!!!

Like today, I don't think she trying to be rude, but my neighbor said, how are you dealing with your body changing so much? I'm thinking, am I really changing that much? Isn't it just a little belly?? Geez. Anyways.

Can't wait to see you in a little bit. Make sure Brad rubs your feet and back every night!!

Dani In NC said...

You want to know how big you can get with twins? I could dig out some pictures :-).