Friday, May 28, 2010

random

I know, I'm slacking off on the blogging. It seems like every free moment I've had recently, I spend cleaning or helping with the fence or something other than the internet. Maybe that's a good thing.

The fence is over halfway done!! Brad and I worked on it yesterday for a couple hours. You want a good workout? Go outside in 90 degree weather and build a fence. That'll help you shed a couple of pounds.

Noah has a new trick. Spinning.
He doesn't crawl or pull up to get around. He spins around on his bottom. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen. If he can't reach something, he'll spin around and around until he gets closer to grab it.
What's really interesting is that when Brad was a baby, he didn't crawl either. He scooted on his bottom. We all thought it was because he wasn't able to support himself well (due to the open heart surgery) on his arms. Turns out, maybe this is just what he would've done anyway??


Noah is also getting a head full of strawberry blond hair. It's mainly all on top, because of his helmet. He has lots of fuzzies on the side where his helmet hits.

(btw, he's looking up at Brad in this picture... so sweet)

As for the helmet, I think he's growing out of it. But his head looks perfectly normal to me, so I'm not worried. It's done wonders. The only drawback is that it gives him some false security. When he's wearing it, he can bump into things, bang his head against the floor, and he's fine. Today, he went from sitting up to his belly, but he moved a little too quickly. His bumped his face too hard on the kitchen floor. Poor baby. His little nose was red for awhile.
He is also learning the "if I smile sweetly, people will give me attention" thing. We all went to the mall yesterday. Since Noah was in the stroller, we couldn't see what he was doing, but every few minutes, people would stop us and talk to Noah. And we kept getting the same, "Look at him! He's so smiley!!" Yep. He's got it figured out.

We also bought him one of his first birthday presents yesterday. A Steve Smith jersey! And it's a onesie (yes, it fits...). We're planning on getting him a jersey every year for his birthday. We happened to check out one of the sports stores and they had them on sale for like $20. How awesome is that?
I know it's still kinda early, but I've already been planning his party. :) I think we're going to do a Noah's Ark theme. This is probably the only year I'll be able to do a cutesy party for him. After this one, I just won't be able to get away with it (nor would I really want to).
I'm having to keep myself in check.
Originally, I wanted to have my cousin make balloon animals, maybe do some face painting, and other "animal theme" type things... and then I realized, he's not going to remember any of this. Why spend all of that money on stuff he won't remember? I'd rather take that money and buy him some fun birthday presents or pretty invitations. Things he can keep.
I admit, I'm still having a hard time trying to hold myself back from going overboard. It's part of my genetic make-up. I can't help it.
Don't be surprised if there happen to be wild animals in our back yard in August. What's Noah's Ark without the elephants and zebras? ;)

Tonight, Brad's taking me out on a date! Woohoo! Not sure where he's taking me yet, but honestly, it doesn't matter. Noah will be hanging out with Nae Nae and Pop Pop (and Aunt Madison). You know how most moms go nuts after awhile if they don't get some time away from their baby? I think that I'm either so far gone that I don't realize I'm nuts, or I just don't go through that. I mean, sure, I'll get some time to myself by running down to Target or something. But honestly, I hate being away from Noah and Brad. I've always been like this. When Brad and I dated, we spent like every stinkin minute together and always had a blast. That's how it is with Noah.
Maybe it's just that I realize he's not going to be this little for long, so I'm trying to soak up the "baby stage" as much as possible? With Brad, it was "oh no, he's leaving for his mission, I have to spend every waking moment with him". And then it was, "the doctors are telling him he only has a few weeks left to live, I'm not leaving his side EVER." Maybe I've developed one of those codependency issues? But I don't think so, because it's not like I have a total meltdown if I'm not with them. I just enjoy being by myself, then go back and enjoy being with them again. Yeah, I'm probably just crazy and don't know it.

So totally switching gears...

Last year, we planted our first garden. It was pretty successful, other than the fact that we planted things that, as it turns out, we don't really eat much of. I'm not sure what we were thinking? I guess we just got too excited about it. Anyway, we got a few strawberries last month, and now we're getting our tomatoes! Oh, and I learned something about tomatoes. If you don't pull them up after the season is over, they come back. I did not know this.
And we planted more this year.
So imagine my surprise when I was pulling weeds and saw little tomato plants popping up ALL OVER. We're going to be living off of tomatoes all summer. I might have to branch out from the traditional tomato sandwich this year. We already have 13 tomatoes growing right now.

And remember this from a couple of weeks ago?:

"So my prediction? Brad said it first, but I think I'll jump on board. It's going to come down to Crystal and Lee. Lee will win."

It's too bad I don't gamble. :)

2 comments:

Charbelle said...

I'm so jealous of your tomatoes!!! S has a garden planned for next year but this year he's not really planning anything.
Yay for date nights your mom is so cute when it comes to him!!
I planned a birthday party and I completely understand how hard it is to keep yourself in check. She had a birthday outfit, we went to Charlotte at Play (no longer opened) they had a stage and pirate ship, grocery store, vet clinic, it was a really cool little place. I got a beautiful cake from Edible Art and then each kid had an individualized goodie bag. I went way overboard, then about 2 weeks later I planned his UNC Tarheels themed 30th birthday party, it was a huge success. Someday I'll hopefully have one of my own and I'll be reigning myself in =)
You're not really weird my friend Margs stays home with her little boy who is now 19 months old and she's like you, she does fine on her own but likes to be with him.
Have a wonderful time on your date night!!

Dani In NC said...

Well, actually, those are called "volunteer" tomatoes. It happens when an overripe tomato falls off the plant and splits open. The seeds lie dormant until the following spring. You can also end up with volunteer vegetables in your compost pile. I had volunteer potatoes in my compost last year, and I have volunteer cherry tomatoes this year.

I know what you mean about getting carried away with the planting. It is so easy to read the gardening catalogs and get seduced by the beautiful photos of eggplant and squash, even though we don't eat them! I've put my garden on hold this year, except for the volunteers. Next year I'll probably stick to tomatoes and one or two other veggies. I can't have too many homegrown tomatoes -- my kids devour them as soon as they're ripe!