I would watch other girls at school who had boyfriends and try to figure out why they had one and I didn't. Well for starters, they usually wore makeup. I tried, but Brad made fun of me when I did, so that idea was out.
They were all curvy and God had blessed them early. As for me? Yeah, not so much.
There wasn't much I could do about that.
What else did they have? Hmm...
Oh, I know. Long, voluminous, gorgeous hair. I didn't have that. Yall have seen my hair. It's straight and tangles easily. So I somehow decided that it must be their hair that did it. Makes total sense...
I tried every shampoo that promised more volume... Bed Head, Vidal Sassoon (do they even make that anymore?), special stuff they use for cancer patients (no, I'm not kidding).
None of it worked. Either I have freakish hair or it's all a big scam.
At this point, I was on a mission. I think at this point, I had lost track of why I wanted really thick hair in the first place. So what was my solution??
Why, a PERM of course!
Last day of 8th grade with my bud Ashley
I went to the local salon where the ladies all have super thick southern accents, overly bleached hair, and waaayy too much eye makeup. That should've been my first red flag. But I digress...
I remember coming home from the salon, eager to see what Brad thought of my new look. Nevermind that I smelled of rotten eggs. He was just going to love it.
And cue the "wah-wah-waaaah" music...
He treated it more as a science experiment gone wrong. It smelled bad, and it looked weird. So now I was stuck with this hair for the next year or so. It seriously felt like forEVER for it to grow back out. Finally, I think at the end of 9th grade, I had straight hair again. Oh, and to complete the look, I got braces. Yep.
(I can't believe I just posted these pictures.)
9 comments:
WHAT. EVER. Being one of those also blessed with, as one hair stylist put it, the straightest hair they'd ever worked with, I feel you pain. And I don't think anyone should feel ashamed in their quest for thicker, fuller hair! I think I did a perm when I was about 10. I'm sure it looked awful (my mom did it), but I didn't care. I had CURLS!! One night in high school I decided I was going to sleep in curlers so that I'd have nice, big curls the next day at church. I was crushed (actually, pissed would be a better word) when I woke up the next morning, groggy from sleeping on curlers but excited to see my curls, only to take the curlers out and see my hair roll out just as limp and flat as ever. Ugh. But still, to this day, I dream of curls. Zach has learned well - whenever we see a woman (usually a black woman) with a huge afro, he always leans over and says, "You want her hair." YES. In fact, I've been considering a perm.... Like this: http://www.designmom.com/2010/07/haircut/
awww you are gorgeous, even with a science experiment on your head ;)
And somehow, Katie, we have the same hair. I can do curls, but I have to use a whole freakin bottle of hairspray to make them last longer than 30 minutes. Forget it if it's humid, though.
I looked at the picture... VERY pretty! If you can get a perm to look like that, that'd be awesome!
And thanks Lori. :)
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I'd forgotten all about that!! At least you were capable of making decent wardrobe choices. I was probably the worst dresser in thue whole school!
Honey, I have seen MUCH worse perms than that! I know what you mean about "those" salons, too. There are hairdressers out there who never seem to take CE classes to up their game. Leave them to your great-grandma, I say!
Well Ashley, at least we can blame our poor fashion on the dress code. We weren't ALL going to be brave enough to roll our skirts and wear combat boots. LOL.
And Dani, you better believe, I try to stay away from those salons now! I may come out with blue-tinted hair! :)
Put the curlers and hairspray away! We live in an age where we can BUY curly hair to put on our heads. I plan to go long and curly myself this winter.
Put the curlers and hairspray away! We live in an age where we can BUY curly hair to put on our heads. I plan to go long and curly myself this winter.
Post a Comment