Thursday, October 21, 2010

picky eater


Noah has officially hit that stage where he's decided what he will and *will not* eat.
His diet mainly consists of these options:
Breakfast:
oatmeal (with a little cinnamon), cheerios with milk, toast with jelly, sometimes eggs
Snacks:
 Annie's Honey Graham Bunnies or Cheddar Bunnies, bananas, grapes (cut up, of course),
watermelon, canteloupe
For lunch/dinner, he'll eat any of this:
Annie's Pasta Shells with white cheddar cheese,
mac n cheese (but even this, he gets finicky about), tomatoes, peas, lima beans, yogurt, tater tots, PB&J,
bread with a little peanut butter, sometimes applesauce

I'm probably leaving out a couple of things, but this is pretty much it.
I know I should be happy he's not starving and that he's still willing to eat some veggies, but what happened to my little foodie??
He was such a good eater. I've read this is normal (I like it when I actually bother to read "baby manuals", and I find out we're doing just fine).
I think it might have something to do with consistency. I used to use the wholesomebabyfood.com website when I first started feeding him, just to get some fun ideas and also instructions on making my own baby food. Now that we're past that stage, I looked on their wholesometoddlerfood.com website, and they have some good ideas... it's just I know Noah will look at it, then throw it overboard. I even tried grilled cheese the other night. Most kids like cheese, right? Not Noah. He took two bites (gotta give him credit for trying it), and that was it.
So all of you moms out there with picky eaters, what do you feed your kids?? I'm really trying to keep it as healthy as possible. Oh and fyi, he doesn't like tomato sauces (including ketchup). He likes tomatoes. Just not the sauce. :)

3 comments:

Dani In NC said...

M decided at 6 months old that she didn't like breast milk any more. That was the beginning of her picky eating. It hasn't ended yet, and she is 17 :-P. You've seen M, so you know she isn't starving! When she was little, I fed her whatever she would eat. Since I'm a bad mum, I made her fix her own meals once the other kids came along. I had an infant and 18-month-old twins to contend with, so the four-year-old M was taught to use the microwave double-quick!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

You are doing such a good job and Noah is eating a HUGE range of foods compared to some toddlers. I hate to break it to you but they only get picker and picker before it gets better (like when they are in high school!) lol.

Henry refuses any vegetable EXCEPT ketchup and tomato sauce. He eats almost every fruit and he loves raisins. The ONLY protein he eats is peanut butter, cheeseburgers, and occsionally stuffed ravioli.

From your list Noah is still a very good eater...

team cowan said...

My boys are super picky. EVERY NIGHT when we sit down to dinner Quinn looks at his plate and says "I want someting else." But I'm SO OVER cooking multiple meals for picky eaters so he either bucks up and eats it, or goes to bed hungry. Like the other night when I made a cheese pizza (with mushrooms and red peppers hidden in the already chunky vegetable sauce) for him and Max, and then a buffalo chicken pizza for me and Zach. I had to remind him to take every single bite. Ugh. But, they most likely won't starve. And I figure if there's something they want over and over again (and it's not candy) then their body must need it for one reason or another. Max gets into moods where he'll just drink milk all day long. Or the other day he brought me a spoon and said he wanted peanut butter.... and then I refilled it for him 5 TIMES! Or Quinn ate 4 bananas in one day a few weeks ago. Oh well. All the things you said Noah eats are good for him, so I'd say don't worry about it. Just be glad he eats! And don't you LOVE Annie's mac & cheese??? Mmmmmm.