Thursday, November 18, 2010

fiddlyfartedness.

Last night, Brad took me out for our anniversary. Noah hung out with my parents and little sister, helping them decorate for Christmas, getting chased by his Pop Pop, and bath time with Nae Nae (my mom's name is Renee, so we shortened it) and Aunt Madison. My mom has always made sure any kid she's watching gets a bath before their parents pick them up. It's her way of saying, "Don't worry about it. Have fun, and when you pick them up, you'll have one less thing to deal with." And if she has enough time, she'll wash their dirty clothes too. You know how nice it is to pick up my baby and have him all cozy in his pj's, smelling like sweet lavendar? Awesome.

We went out for Chinese, which I loooove. But honestly, we only eat it from this one place. We're picky about our Chinese. This stuff is so yummy and isn't made with any MSG. The restaurant is nice, complete with soft music and low lighting. You get your own comfy booth, and it's usually pretty quiet. Plus, they're super efficient, so you can have a romantic dinner in like 30-45 minutes... perfect if you're trying to get your baby to bed on time!
We split the Scallion Chicken and each order an egg roll. Our meal was $15. And we had leftovers. Score.

I have a confession.
I'm an eavesdropper. I know it's rude, but I can't help it. I love hearing what other booths are discussing. And I figure, if you're talking so loud that I can hear your whole conversation two tables over, then it's not my fault. Last night, some local government guys were talking about roads and prisons and attorneys. Interesting stuff.
Last week, we went to Panera, and there was a couple who were meeting for the first time. They had a mutual friend who set them up. Apparently, they both went to some kind of divorce support group and were discussing how they're trying to get out and interact more. She said that talking to the cashier at the grocery store doesn't count. And I thought how sad that must be. I didn't mean to pity her, and I don't mean to be all smug. But seriously, it just sounded so lonely. And they both seemed like perfectly nice people. Who knows. Maybe she's a total nutjob, and this poor guy doesn't know what he's getting into. She was from West Virginia, after all. Ha. Kidding. :)
So yeah. I have an eavesdropping problem. Brad doesn't mind. He thinks it's funny, and now he catches himself doing it. I told him it's like turning on the tv in the middle of some new show and trying to figure out what's going on. Yep. People are my entertainment. We're all pretty fascinating, aren't we? They should take it as a compliment.

So before we left, I got my fortune cookie. Brad opened his and it said, "Someone is saying nice things about right now."
And this was mine...
I'm still not sure what to make of it.
Did I dress too manly last night?? Was it because we were out on a date? Maybe I needed to flirt with my husband a little more? Maybe a little more lipstick and fewer granny panties. lol. Just kidding. I don't wear granny panties... often.
Good thing I don't take those things too seriously. Otherwise, my feelings might be hurt.
Ever seen the Simpson's episode where Homer becomes one of those guys that writes fortune cookie sayings? And then Burns gets one that says, "You will find true love on flag day". Pretty funny.

I was never allowed to watch the Simpsons when I was younger. I don't think I missed out on much. I never saw an episode until I started dating Brad (who happens to be slightly obsessed). Brad's dad calls it "mindless dribble". Another Granddad-ism.

Brad is now in a full on war with the mice.
He put traps in the attic, because they (finally) woke him up in the middle of the night. They start making noise every morning around 4am. I have NO idea what they're doing up there. It sounds like a herd of squirrels trying to dig through our ceiling (my parents are adamant that it's squirrels, but Brad is still sticking with mice. we don't have squirrels in our neighborhood for some reason).
He caught a couple of mice up there last night. The creepy part? They got away.
They ate the peanut butter Brad put on it, and somehow moved the trap and got away. Oh, and we're missing a mouse trap in our garage. It's gone. ???
We got those sticky mouse traps, mainly to ease my conscience. I don't like killing innocent animals. But it turns out, we're slowly torturing them to death. If they get away, they've probably broken a limb or two (or something worse). I'd almost rather kill them fast instead of making them suffer. Darn mice being cute and all.
So yeah. My husband is in a full on war with a clan of mice.

Yesterday, I went to pick up my little sister from school, while Brad stayed home (Noah was napping). While Noah slept, Brad went up to the attic. Our flashlight broke, and the area where the mice are is really dark. So apparently, he got the bright idea to take our floor lamp up there.
He was also a little freaked out by the whole thing. He had these visions of mice attacking him out of nowhere and eating him alive or something. Too many scary movies, I guess.
So not only did he set up this big floor lamp up there, but he walked around the attic with a bat and a can of bug spray. I wish I'd been home to see it. I'm glad he never found anything. He might've gotten scared, tried to spray the little critters, and gotten himself really sick by inhaling the fumes.
Yep. I married myself a real man.

4 comments:

team cowan said...

I think it would have been awesome if you guys had gotten each other's fortunes. Because really, what's more likely, that someone's saying nice things about you or Brad? Exactly. And we all know Brad could use a little more femininity....

Maybe not.....

p.s. The word verification on here is "bittypor." What's that supposed to mean??????

Charbelle said...

I'm glad y'all were able to enjoy a romantic dinner!! I always listen in on people's conversations I'm ridiculously nosy and I'm a restaurant hostess it's just too easy not to. I never watched the Simpsons either and even now it's something I'm not a fan of, give me Keeping up with the Kardashians if I actually have access to TV which is rare these days. Ahh the benefits of a boyfriend, oh well.
The last part about the attic and the mice attacking made me laugh, but only because it wasn't me because if it was my house I would be calling someone there is no way I can deal with mice on my own, they can't be stepped on or smooshed.

Dani In NC said...

Look at you -- always looking at things in a positive light. When the MIL washes my kids' clothes and does their hair while they're at her house, I always feel like she is telling me I don't know how to take care of my kids :-p.

Jessica and Jimmy said...

Okay so Hailey... let me just tell you... I love reading your blog. I feel like I know you better each time I see you, just because of your blog. And to me, your blog explains why we get along so well. You really do think a lot like me, you're just much sweeter and don't voice things outloud around people as often.
I am a TERRIBLE eavesdropper... really. If there's an interesting couple I have a hard time concentrating on anything else. Although I must admit, as an oldest child (unless you have older siblings I've never met or really heard of) that's a rare trait. That's a typical middle child thing... just saying. The mice thing... lets talk about the war at our house... serious war here. Had to replace our stove because one died in the electrical wires behind it... smelled HORRIBLE... really. One got into our house after he replaced our stove. I told him it was the last straw. If I see any more mouse poop in my house... he's being fired and I'm calling a professional. OURS are in the crawl space.
I love your descriptions of Brad... they're so dead on... so descriptive, you should write a book. Anyhow, happy holidays... maybe we can get together next week, Jim plans on working all week so maybe a play date?