I meant to write this one yesterday. Apparently, I got all caught up in my own self pity to remember (I'll blame it on the meds...).
Anyway, for those of you who may not have been aware, yesterday was Orphan Sunday.
I was not adopted. I don't have any adopted siblings.
But I did grow up in a church where adoption and foster care was definitely a big deal. A few of my friends have adopted brothers and sisters. Some were the ones that were adopted. And it always touched me to see how much they loved these little ones as much as their own birth children. Because in their eyes, these were their children. And the kids loved their parents.
I'm sure it wasn't easy.
I've seen families struggle to afford adoption. The transition must get tricky. But God places it on their hearts, and their commitment to fulfill his calling on their lives never ceases to amaze me.
So while this post isn't particularly about me, I am thankful for those who adopt.
Because of them, children have hope.
They have my upmost respect. It makes my heart smile to know that because a person decided to forgo fancy additions on their home or that nice family vacation in order to save up... a child now gets a hug and a kiss before bedtime. She has someone to call Mommy and Daddy. She has parents who consider her a blessing, not just another mouth to feed.
She's no longer unwanted. She's not a burden.
Even if she was born with disabilities, she's perfect in their eyes.
She's someone's baby girl.
To all of those out there who want to adopt, have adopted, and are in the process of adopting... you're a total inspiration. Keep it up and know that you'll be blessed for being a blessing.
And while the rest of the world is total madness, and it all seems to be going to hell in a hand basket... try to remember those who are reading their baby from Ethiopia or Kenya or China or the Philippines or Japan or America a bedtime story, cherishing every moment they now get to spend with them.
There is good in the world.
Smile about that.
:)
Happy Monday!
1 comment:
The church I was at with my parents on Sunday had a whole presentation on their adoption ministry, there were tears all over the place!
Post a Comment