Friday, February 11, 2011

today

The other day, I noticed Noah was rubbing his ears. He always rubs his ears when he's teething, so I didn't worry too much. Just filed it away in my mind to make sure I kept an eye on it. Yesterday, I noticed it was getting a little excessive. But he wasn't sick. No colds, no fevers, no draining... nothing that would indicate or lead to an ear infection. I gave him some Tylenol at bedtime last night, and I was starting to think it may be something more than teeth. Around 4:30 this morning, Noah woke up crying... and nothing I did comforted him. He cried and boo-hoo'ed and cried more. I finally put him in bed with me to see if that would calm his down. I gotta tell you, it broke my heart. He stopped crying, cuddled up next to me holding his favorite blue cloud blanket, and rubbed my arm, face, and hair with his little fingers. Although I knew he wasn't okay, I have to admit, the moment was just precious. One of those kinds you file away for later, when life isn't always so sweet. I knew he was tired, but he couldn't sleep. He finally went back down about an hour and a half later. Brad stayed up to make sure he was okay, and he let me sleep. We didn't get up until 12:45 this afternoon.
Yep, our sleep schedule is totally off now.

When I got Noah up, he had a runny nose. I got him an appointment.
Can I just say how much I hated sitting in the waiting room today?
It's Friday.
After school.
Kids with the flu were everywhere.

Noah was acting like nothing was wrong. He was happy, running around, smiling at other (germy) kids. I started second guessing myself. We sat in that waiting room for over an hour. I was SO close to going home. He seemed fine while we were there, and I was so scared he was going to pick up something else there. The longer we sat, the more nervous I got. But I stuck it out. I figured if there was something wrong, and it got worse, I'd be so upset with myself.
And I'm so glad I waited.
Turns out, he has an ear infection. Poor baby let out a little cry when she went to check the infected one. I told her the whole story, and she responded with, "Always trust that maternal instinct." So I feel all proud of myself. Gold Mommy Star for me today.
Now the trick is trying to get to the pharmacy before they close at 9pm. Noah fell asleep much later than normal, and now I've got to book it over there. All while somehow getting him awake and fed.

Wish me luck.
Happy Friday! :)

3 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

you so did the right thing! those waiting rooms are scary! i hope you all get some sleep tonight and noah feels better soon!

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

ear infections are the WORST. BUUUUT they usually clear up pretty quick after medicine kicks in. Brinley had two back to back over the summer and it sucked. The first one totally caught us off guard and we made it to Urgent Care 15 minutes before they closed on a Sunday night. Poor girl.

If I even told you what the waiting room at Brinley's ped office is like you would CRINGE!!! Ryan fa-reaked the first time he went with us to the doc. HAHA!

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

You definitely deserve the Gold Mommy Star!!