Jess did a post recently mentioning random facts about herself. And I thought I'd do one too. Because I'm all about being a copycat.
So here we go...
Completely Useless Information About Me.
- For most of my childhood, I towered over everyone. I was like a whole foot (exaggerate much?) taller than Brad when I developed a crush on him in 7th grade. The pediatrician predicted I'd be 5'10". Ummm.... what happened? I'm 5'4". I guess it worked out for the best though. Otherwise, I'd still be taller than Brad.
- I'm semi-fluent in sign language. My mom is an ASL interpreter (and so is my stepmom) and growing up, I was surrounded by deaf people. Actually, my little sister's godfather is deaf, and my mom produced and starred in an educational video. I took ASL in college for my foreign language (yes it counts. Interested? Look up your local community colleges and see if they offer it). I've gone to a deaf church, silent dinners, and been on double dates with other young deaf couples. I was one of 5 students that they pulled aside and asked to make a career out of it. I always wonder if I should've pursued it. I really did enjoy it. My mom is able to set her own hours, accept whatever jobs she wants, and makes pretty good money. Maybe one day.- I have a weakness for anything chocolate. It's sad, really.
- From middle school until after college, my average weight was between 105-110 lbs. I wore size 0-4 clothes. I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I didn't even think about food. I was active, but definitely not hooked to exercise. Yep, I was that girl. Fortunately, I was a nice person, so nobody ever punched me in the face for it. While I don't think being that small would be healthy now, I'd love to go back to not thinking about it and just being skinny again. Wouldn't we all? Anyone with a miracle pill or a time machine is more than welcome to email me with their solutions.
Here's me back then (I was 18). Heaven help me, I can't believe I'm posting this...
(who put their shoes on the coffee table?? Gross!)
Dude, look how skinny Brad was too!
I'm sure he'd love to go back to the days where all he ate was nachos and still looked like this.
- I would love to be one of those really hot, fashionable moms. At one point, when I worked full-time, I finally spent my own money on nice clothes. Then I got married and my money ended up going other places. But my favorite stores? Anthropologie, Belle Ville (got a Groupon for that one yesterday!! it's a small local boutique here), White House Black Market, Victoria's Secret (online), J. Crew, Ann Taylor Loft, and The Jewel Box (old employer).
- Growing up, my school/church was about 30 minutes away from my house. Every single morning, my mom and I would drive through Hardees, and she'd order a large black coffee. After awhile, we knew all the workers. They knew my mom's order, our names, and sometimes got a free biscuit. Somehow in the super quick time it took to get her coffee, we ended up swapping stories and becoming friends. Good times in a small town.
- I grew up very sheltered from the world. Looking back, it was actually kind of nice. But when life comes crashing down around you? You're so unprepared. While I love my mom to death, I do think she tried a little too hard to keep us in a bubble. Still is, actually. Currently, she (and a couple other moms) are going through To Kill a Mockingbird and marking out all the bad words. My little sister is in 8th grade, and she doesn't feel a Christian school should be allowing them to read offensive language. I can certainly see her point, trying to live a certain standard, be a light, etc etc. But here's what I did when it was me... I didn't tell her about it. lol. I made the point yesterday to her that even though I read it word for word back in middle school, I never used the words and I'm pretty sure I turned out okay. Actually, I don't even think I knew what the words meant. Went right over my head.
- I'm (still) a Mary Kay consultant. But I don't go to meetings, don't pester people, and am not super motivated by all the "encouraging quotes" Mary Kay thought up. *did I just hear the sound of pink Cadillacs crashing all over the nation??* Honestly, I just like the products. End of story.
- I grew up in a very small town. However in the span of like 10 years, it went from this:
to this...
- I have an incredibly diverse group of friends. All very random. I believe that everyone should have friends that fall into these categories: a couple that are high-on-life to keep you motivated and encouraged, a couple that are total realists to keep you grounded, a couple that make you laugh till your face hurts, and a couple that are a combo of all those.
- I secretly wish I was born with a British accent. Or Spanish. I guess I'll just have to be content with my hillbilly drawl.
- I'm naturally very shy and quiet. Over the years, I've learned to get over it and just be myself. I think that's one of the best parts about growing up... getting comfortable in your own skin. For so long, I wanted to be the outgoing, fun, everybody-loves-me type. As a wife, I'd looove to be that Martha Stewart type. The kind that has everything planned out, a perfectly clean house, and "oh look what I did today, honey. Made new lampshades out of egg cartons and dog poo!" and somehow they look gorgeous. But I'm not, and that's okay. I enjoy projects and making my house nice. But I'm no Martha. It's so easy to look at others and wish you had their qualities, only to realize you spent all that time not recognizing what great qualities you already have. Loving who you are. Who God designed you to be. Because when you think about it, He spent so much time weaving every intricate detail of your personality and looks, and He loves every bit of you. So to wish you were something other than you are? Totally pointless. Ok, sorry... that was more of an opinion than a random fact.... I'll get back to what I was doing.
- Speaking of, I get distracted easily.
- I've spent my whole life hearing how much I look like my mom. Which is certainly not a bad thing. When we were kids, Brad told me he thought my mom was hot. And then he decided that when I'm her age, most likely I'll look like her. So then he'd have a hot wife. And that's how he decided he wanted to marry me when he was 14.
- I'm a total nerd. I do my best to hide it. But I like learning. One of my favorite classes in college was statistics. I enjoy reading and hearing other viewpoints and dissecting sentences. I like to read my Bible and write and think. And my proud moments are when I've spent so much time trying to teach Noah a new concept or word, then suddenly, he gets it. Maybe I'll give this whole homeschool thing a shot.
- And yeah. I plan on homeschooling. At least to try it. Because it's either that or private school. And we're not made of gold. So homeschool it is. Plus, I kinda like hanging out with my kid a lot and being able to choose what I want to teach him. We'll see how this goes.
- I love art. I used to love sitting in my room and drawing. I'm better at seeing something in front of me and copying it, rather than drawing it from my mind.
- I haven't had my hair done in over a year. Brad is giving me some money to get it done soon. I'm not sure whether to be insulted or excited? I'm choosing excited. Here's what I'm thinking:
(except without the extensions. Or blond.)
And there you have it. :)




2 comments:
I hate you for that skinny pic.
Not really.
And you should totally go for the haircut...I'd love to have straight hair like yours that can do cute cuts.
Sign language: I used sign language briefly with one of the kids, can't remember which one. It was all the rage in the late 90s to teach babies a few signs to empower them during that period right before they learned to speak. I don't think we got any further than "milk" and "more". Currently we have an ASL book on our shelf that the kids pull down when they are bored.
Sheltered kids: We buffered our kids somewhat during their early years, partly due to our principles and partly due to my laziness! It was easier to make them stay in their own yard than it was for me to meet other kids' parents and keep up with whose house they've gone to. Everything they watched was animated until a couple years ago. Now that they are all teenagers, I've gone in the other direction. I let them watch or read stuff with questionable content (not TOO raw, of course) but then I explain to them what it means and whether it fits in with our beliefs. I've spent time with adults who were ultra-sheltered as kids and they were NOT prepared to deal with the real world at all. I don't want that for my kids.
Homeschooling: Do it! I did it for five years and I still miss it. Being there the first time that reading clicks with your kid is magical. I was more excited about M learning to read than I was when she took her first steps. Another great thing about homeschooling through the elementary school years is that you never have to deal with the requests for soda bottles and magazines and such to make art projects, and you don't have to find a place to put all that junk when your kid brings it home :-).
Hair: ABM does the same thing to me from time to time -- bundles me into the car and deposits me at the hair salon. I choose to see it as him still noticing and caring about what I look like. When they stop noticing is when we'll be in trouble!
Post a Comment