Monday, April 4, 2011

cyber bullies

Ok, so really, this post has nothing to do with me. I'm just not popular enough. But I can't help but notice a not-so-nice trend popping up in the blog world. Blog Bullying.

It seems that the more popular you become (more followers and such), the more likely you are to be a target. A couple of my friends have received anon comments, emails, tweets, etc that were extremely rude and mean. My question is why?

One commenter made fun of my friend's kids. What the heck kind of person targets children?? Another blog friend was fussed at for taking too many pictures of her baby. Another person, in response to that post, said someone sent her an anon email telling her to stop talking about her kid's ear infection.
And the extremely popular bloggers like nienie and Kelle Hampton I'm sure get the nastiest of the nasty. I've seen some of Kelle's, and nienie is smart enough to keep her comments closed. So if people are really wanting to be mean, they have to put some real effort in.

Anyways, I guess I just don't quite get it.
Why people feel the need to bully others? Say nasty things? Judge their mothering, their beliefs, their opinions, their intellect, their looks? What's the point? What are these people hoping to achieve?

The only thing I can think of is that these people have some serious issues. Maybe they're experiencing some severe hurt or loss, causing them to lash out at others whose lives (appear) to be just dandy (right now). Either way, it doesn't make it right.

So big 'ol fat meanies out there??
Go get some help.
Or just stop reading blogs that you don't agree 100% with.
Or maybe get some ice cream, turn on the Care Bears, and try to remember what it was like to be a nice person.
But please leave my friends alone.
Thanks.

10 comments:

urbancurtsy said...

amen sister! I completely agree that the old saying if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all, and if you really have to complain for whatever trifle reason go talk to a girlfriend about it that is a not a blogger, but don't do it via someone elses or your own blog, so wrong! If more people could just be nice. You're right!

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Ew, last night I was reading Kelle's blog and one of her posts that I was just reading through, was about down syndrome. I happened to just start reading the comments and I was SOOO surprised how many "anonymous" comments there were. There were some that were nice! But MOOOST were SOOO nasty. Oh my gosh. I only read through a few of those nasty comments and I thought #1 you're RUDE to comment that mean to ANYONE and #2 you are a COWARD to be "anonymous." Buuuuugs me SOOO badly. I've read a few other nasty comments of another blog I read and there was ONE comment that just set me over the edge. This woman was SOOO judgmental to the blogger about her choice to formula feed. YOU WOULD HAVE DIIIIED. This woman needs to be found and slapped with what she said to this poor blogger. Why read someones blog when you disagree with them to the point to be anonymous AND be sooo un-Christ like.

...

okay. Off my soap box :-) Glad you did this post because there are so many rude people who hide behind their anonymous comments.

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

One word Hailey: Jealousy...

It makes people behave so badly, and they should be ashamed of themselves! I have never posted a mean anon comment and I never will.

What comes around goes around. You never know what life will throw your way! That person who is so mean about Down Syndrome might get cancer. (Not that I wish that on anyone)...

Christ taught one predominant message: LOVE. If you come from a place of love, life will be good. I 100% believe that!

Jess said...

Yeah.

Because someone telling me I have weird looking kids? Um, dude, really?

The line about the Care Bears did it for me though. I heart you.

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

You know I agree. Sigh. People should just move on. Really.

The Life of Susan said...

great post hailey! and so true! i've just never understood why people feel the need to do that, but you're right... somewhere inside they're angry or hurting or in pain and it has to come out somehow. it's a shame it has to be targeted at good-hearted people though. thanks for posting this!

Sassytimes said...

Amen! It's sad that because (some) bloggers choose to share their lives to the public, others feel the right to judge and be nasty.

Be kind people. Be kind.

Lyryn said...

Isn't it ridiculous?! I can't believe how people have been cyber bulling some of the people in my life that have big blogs. It's outrageous and uncalled for. It needs to stop.

Megan said...

Funny you mention kelle hampton, cause that's how I stumbled upon your blog. Hi!! :)

And I agree...I have no tolerance for people being mean. There's just no reason for it! And meanness directed towards children is the worst.

And now, for some happiness, I just thought I'd share that I have a fun giveaway on my blog right now. You're welcome to come check it out!!

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

YES.

I don't get it one bit.

Love your Care Bears advice :-)