Y'all remember this post where I was thinking about getting my hair done again? (I mean, it's only been a year, what's the rush?). Well, I started researching salons for the heck of it. Just in case we ever came up with a spare couple hundred bucks to spend on my hair. Out of nowhere y'know. That happens all the time.
Anyway, I'm a chronic "salon hopper". I've never had a salon that I considered my salon, or a stylist that I loved and therefore would follow wherever she/he went. It's not because I'm too hard to please. It's usually because I don't ever leave a place feeling super impressed. I've gone to every kind of salon under the sun... the small, neighborly types; the big, flashy, gotta-take-out-a-loan-to-afford-this types; and then everything in between. This time, I wasn't going to take my chances.
Although y'all were sweet about my last haircut (the short one with bangs)... let's face it. They butchered my hair. It was nothing like I'd asked for. I wanted fringy bangs and a cute layered cut that fell right above my shoulders. I got a helmet head.
I would never tell my mother this, because I used her stylist, and it was a gift from her.
Anyways...
I did my research. I looked up every salon in the nearby Charlotte area. I wanted good service, an awesome haircut, to feel pampered, but not have to pay a buttload of money (where did that expression come from?? I suddenly found myself slightly grossed out by that term just now...).
After reading review after review and looking at pictures and prices... oh yeah, and fyi to you salons who don't list your prices?? If you don't have them listed, then I assume I can't afford it, and my hair should not cost that much. The end.
Yeah so after doing a ton of research, I finally found a place I wanted to go to... eventually. Y'know, when my husband magically found an extra hundred in his pockets. Then out of nowhere (or not so much... I wasn't being all that discreet), Brad asked me if I'd like to get my hair done. I told him no way, I couldn't justify spending that much money on HAIR. We could use that money for something else we needed. You never know, the next plague may include frogs or gnats or something. He let it go, since he realized I wasn't backing down. The other day, he came home from running an errand and informed me that he'd made an appointment at a salon. I was getting my hair done on Thursday. I asked where he'd made it, and when he told me, my heart sunk a little. I didn't want to rain on his desperate to make my wife hot sweetness parade, but I'd been there before. They charge too much and don't do that great of a job. Last time, I'd gotten the owner's daughter. It was stupid. She had the personality of a rock and did an ok job.
I thanked him profusely, but I asked if I could switch and use this other salon I'd found. He said he didn't care, that it was my hair. He just knew I wasn't going to ever make the appointment myself.
So today was the day.
I tried not to have any expectations, but this place had 65 reviews, 63 of them being 5 stars. I was pretty excited. I even wore a dress. Because I didn't have a toddler. I could be a girl and not a mom for once.
I've dragged this out, I know.
Without boring you to tears, I'll just say this.
I found my permanent salon.
It's happy and friendly and fun. They did an amazing job. They gave me their input without being pushy. Everyone was stylish and professional, but still stayed true to themselves.
If you live in the Charlotte area, do yourself a favor and check this place out.
In case you were curious, Jen and Amanda were the girls who worked with me (they have pictures on the site), and they were fantastic. And yes, I already left a review for them. :)
Before I show you the pictures, I need to clarify something.
Remember that random fact post I did where I mentioned how my right eye was messed up when I was born and it can't go up? Yeah, well here's your proof. Sorry if it gives you the willies...
So here's what I got...
(I couldn't decide which one to use, so I did both)
Honey/caramel highlights... because the hubs likes my natural color (it always looks more red in the light), I decided to go really natural with them. They add a little depth, which is what I wanted. I may go a little lighter again next time around, just for fun.
Got it chopped a few inches, right below my shoulders, with a few layers.
I had a good shot that Brad took of the back, but it was in RAW, and I'm not PS saavy enough to figure out why it won't open up a RAW file yet. Anyways, I'm really happy with it.
OH! Best part: After leaving a tip and buying some good shampoo, I was still $50 under my budget!!
They use Arrojo products, which I was all happy about. Did any of y'all ever see Nick Arrojo on TLC's What Not to Wear? They have a new guy now, but Nick used to be on there for a long time. His contract was up, and turns out, he was busy producing this product line and opening up a school. Awesome, right?
Normally, I get all skeptical when stylists try to upsale me on their products. But this shampoo actually left my hair feeling like silk and it'll prolong the color. I haven't had any good shampoo in years, so I'm all kinds of thrilled.
On another note... and not that I'm not completely happy and definitely feel these girls deserve a medal... this is just something I've wondered for years.
This is an honest to goodness, sincere question to any of you former or current hairstylists (or anyone who has an answer)...
why is a tip expected?
The price of the haircut is already stated, based on the level of expertise/education/etc. Regardless of whether they could do the style before they got more training, the price goes up as they get smarter.
I'm paying the amount quoted to me.
If you're a plumber, you give a price. After the work is done, you don't get tipped. Same goes for an electrician. Or most service industries, except for the restaurant, and on that kind of minimum pay, they live for tips (I get that one). After my mom has an interpreting job, she doesn't get a tip, regardless of how well she did or how friendly she was. So when did this practice of tipping for hair/nails/massages start? Just curious. Maybe I'll google it.
Happy almost Friday! :)


5 comments:
It looks great! Way to go! I have had my share of hair cutting issues. I once went to a place and told them I wanted it really choppy in the back, and she literally gave me a chop. chop. chop in the back. It looked like three stairs on the back of my head.
Anyways, I've been going to a girl here ever since we moved here and I think she and I have finally got my hair figured out. I actually went today and she did exactly what I've been after. It's perfect. But it's been a work in progress. I've been to two other people in the area and not been super happy with them, so I figured I'd just stick with her and we would figure it out together. And now I think we finally did. Wooohoo! Best part? It was $20. Even better part? Sometimes when I go she says (in her super cute spanish accent) "Katie, you need highlights. I'm doing them. And that's that." And then doesn't charge me anything. Score.
you look so gorgeous!!!!! I LOVE it!!!! Now I want to go visit them :)
Looks very pretty!
Every time I go to my stylist she charges me something different. It drives me crazy. Last time (for the hair color change), I nearly FAINTED when they told me the price. I am still in sticker shock.
I've never had a regular stylist, either, but for different reasons than yours. Almost every time I've gone to a salon, I've been happy with my hair when I come out -- even the time when they burnt my scalp so bad that I was picking scabs out of my hair for a month! Getting my hair done is not something I want to work into the budget, though. Like you, I feel like the money can be better spent somewhere else. So I do my own hair and only go to a professional if there is a special occasion coming up. Since it may be years before a truly special occasion comes up, I often can't get the same person to do my hair again. It may be a beauty student who has graduated from the beauty school and moved on, or I can't remember the name of the salon I went to. The best set of microbraids I ever had was done by my sister when she was putting herself through college. Now that she doesn't need the money, I can't talk her into doing them again.
As for tipping the hairdresser, I'm not sure why that is expected either. In some salons, stylists have to pay booth rent and chip in towards supplies so perhaps they are making much less than we think. In chain salons like the ones inside WalMart locations, they only get an hourly wage. It is more than what waitresses get, but it's the same concept, I guess.
I totally agree with you on the tipping issue. It's even worse when you get bad service and they still expect a tip.
Post a Comment