Tuesday, June 14, 2011

happy, then sad, then happy again

It's been SO HOT here lately.
Our poor pups have been just melting outside.

I felt really bad. I kicked them out shortly after Noah was born.
I love our dogs; I really do. But the amount of fur they would leave was insane. You would think Dodger (the long haired one) would leave the most, but honestly? Flash was almost worse, simply because his fur is like horse hair. It gets stuck in the fibers of the carpet, so you literally have to pick at it in order to vacuum it up. The thought of it right now makes me want to gag. Apart from the hair, they were always wanting to sprawl out where I needed to walk. And with the dirt they would track in, there was no way I was going to let my baby crawl around on top of their filth. I also didn't want to be stuck cleaning up dog all day. I had better things to do. So out they went. They've been fine, actually. They enjoy barking at the joggers and kids that pass by. But lately, it's been so hot, I was starting to feel sorry for them. Poor Dodger looked miserable.

So during the super hot days, I've been letting them in to cool off. I blocked off a section at our laundry/back door area. They've  been so well behaved. No pushing the boundaries or anything. Except now Dodger yelps at the back door whenever he's outside, even when it's not hot anymore. He's such a pansy.

And guess who thinks it's hilarious that they're inside?




He thinks it's great.
They're trapped. He gets to play with their tails and mess with their feet and do things like this...


...without them trying to run away.
I love Flash's face.
Like, "Ma'am, please get your kid..."


When he hasn't been annoying the crap out of  playing with the dogs, he's been busy playing with his new water table! I took the advice yall gave me and bought him one, even though it meant going to the craptastic Wally World (trust me, this one is a bad one). But it was worth it, because it's kept him occupied indoors. It's so hard to explain to an almost 2 yr old why we can't go outside in the blazing heat.



We went to visit my grandmother yesterday. It's so weird to see her in a nursing home with all of the really older folks. Everyone else is hangin' around in their nighties, most unable to communicate well, and she's fully dressed with her hair/makeup done, telling the nurses to heat up to her Italian leftovers her son's fiance brought. Unfortunately, pain medication makes her sick and leaves her without an appetite. So she decided to stop taking any altogether. The woman just had a hip replacement, and she's refusing pain medication... even during her physical therapy. She's a trooper. I think I'd at least take a Tylenol or something.

The nursing home she's staying at is actually right down the road from the cemetary where Brad's brother is buried. We decided to stop by. This is the first time I'd been back there since the funeral, which was over 11 years ago. It was surreal for me. Last time I was there, Brad and I had just gotten all romantic and stuff, but it was in that weird "are we really together or not?" limbo stage. Now I was back, married to him, with our little boy walking around talking to random people's graves (what can I say? he's odd...). Poor Brad had a rough time; I don't think he planned on it hitting him so hard, going back. Watching Noah walk around, it really hit me how his parents must feel. Totally breaks my heart. Having almost lost Brad so many times, I always get the saddest when I think of his brother's wife and son (on the plaque, it had written "Love, M & N"). Also? His grave was one of the few that was missing flowers. And then I resolved that this was NOT going to continue. Brad's brother was his hero growing up, and he certainly deserves to be memorialized. There will be some flowers there soon. And the next time we go, it'll happen on a day when Brad won't have to go into work right after. We needed to end the day on a positive, happy note; not a depressing one.

And with that, let's move on to something a little happier, shall we??

My nephew's birthday!
Somehow, my focus mode got switched from auto to manual, without me realizing it. I thought maybe the lens was fogged up or something, and when I went to check, I saw what was wrong. Oops. Anyway, the picture is a little fuzzy, but you get the idea. He got a talking Elmo, everyone is happy, etc.

And because I'm a total Pinterest nut now, I thought I'd share what I'll be making tonight. Saw this on there and thought I'd give it a whirl.

Going to serve it alongside a roasted chicken (made with fresh herbs from the garden!) and a salad.

Happy Tuesday!



4 comments:

Tatiana said...

your little guy is adorable! And so are your pups. We also keep ours outside since the amount of hair and smell drives my crazy! It's a lot more cleaning that I have to do that I don't have time to :-)

Ben and Sara said...

Cute pictures! Thanks again for the talking Elmo, Ryan loves it and so does Colton :).
It was Ben's and my first time at Rob's grave just few months ago. It brought back a lot of memories and emotions for Ben too. I didn't ever meet Rob, but I know he was one of Ben's heros too. We noticed the same thing about Rob's grave. we took flowers once, but I don't think they lasted very long.

You'll have to let me know how those potatoes turn out....they look good!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

You have cute doggies. I love dogs. Those photos of Noah with them are so precious. Boys LOVE dogs!

How do you keep Noah from splashing the water all over your floor?

I made a similar roasted potato and I'm curious to see how you liked yours. The Balsamic would be so yummy!

Dani In NC said...

You really should have invited me over for some of those potatoes, in the name of neighborhood togetherness and all :-).