Monday, January 30, 2012

Messy Mom Monday

It's time for another edition of "Messy Mom Monday"!
You're actually going to be super impressed with me. Er... us. Something in us snapped last week, and we couldn't handle the clutter anymore. So we went through the house and organized, cleaned, and disinfected. I've always been pretty good about keeping germs out. I have a slight phobia. But as for clutter? Eh, not so good at that.
I hate clutter. It builds and builds, and before we know it, the entire house is one big junk heap. And it's not stuff we can just throw out... it's just stuff that we've been too lazy to put in its proper place. Usually things like tape measurers, candles, craft supplies, dishes, socks. But we hit our breaking point and cleaned it all up. It only took us three days...

Funny Farewell Ecard: Congratulations. You are one stack of crap away from an episode of Hoarders.

But never fear.
Just because we cleaned doesn't mean we're ready for Martha to come by for an inspection a visit.
Since this past summer, Noah has been using the tub in our bathroom. The tub in his bathroom had been leaking into the bathroom downstairs. Brad finally got around to cutting holes in our ceiling to check the plumbing, only to find out there's nothing wrong. He had caulked the spicket (per the suggestion of a coworker) that had come a little loose. So far, no leaks. Just holes in the ceiling. Brad wanted to wait a few days to see if it leaks at all before patching it back up... just in case. He told me he was going to use a piece of white paper or something to make the hole less conspicuous. So I went to check it out, and he thought this was a more appropriate solution.

 (don't you love how I still watermarked these? as if someone would actually want to steal them? apparently, I like to flatter myself...)

One of my nice, white towels.
He thinks I'll be cool with using it again after that... "just wash it!"
Why is that not okay with me?
Because there were traces of mice in there. And with our cockroach water beetle issues, I know they've been in there too. No freaking way am I drying myself off with a towel that's been stuffed in our ceiling with roaches and mouse poo.
Anyway, so far no leaks. But just in case, I have to live with holes in my ceiling for a while.


Yay me.

Like I said, even though we cleaned a lot last week, there are still spots that need some love.

Our banister, for example, is always a drop-off spot for random junk.


And this? I don't even know.
An ink pad, eczema cream, and a shoe insert?
We cleared this area to make more room... for very random clutter, I guess.


Noah's room is also having some issues.
My dad is building us some bookshelves, which I'm so excited about.
But until we get them, his toy area is going to continue to look like this:


I cleaned out his closet and drawers to make room for clothes that actually fit him. Apparently I'm growing a giant. He's wearing mostly 5T now. And he's not even 2 and 1/2 yet.
Makes me nervous for the teenage years.


Also, I'm thinking it's time to redo his room.
I don't think he even knows who Winnie the Pooh is. He still has a nursery instead of an actual kid room. Time for a change, dontchathink?

In an attempt to keep up with the house, I made myself a little chore list. I found a couple on Pinterest, but after looking them over, they were way too detailed. And I know I'd never get to half of it, which would leave me feeling like a failure. So I created my own, much more attainable, list.



Go ahead, laugh. You know you want to.
If I actually follow through, it'll be a miracle.
And yes, it already got water on it, because it sat on my kitchen counter for a couple of days before making its way to the fridge. I'm on top of things like that.
Underachievers unite!

***

Wanna link up too?
Go here and join the fun.
Also, if you are the OCD type? May I recommend NOT linking up and/or reading any of these?
It's like a clean-freak's nightmare blog hop.
:)
Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

I like your check list. It's cute.

Noah is so big!! But Keira is wearing 3T and some 4T and she's only 2 1/2. So yikes. Maybe we can set them up in 20 years? :-)

You should redo his room - it would be a fun project for you.

Ben and Sara said...

Can't believe he is wearing 5T! He and Colton could share clothes :)

Dani In NC said...

This looks like my house, except substitute the toddler toys for video game consoles and all the cords and controllers that sit in a tangled mess in the den. At least they used to, until ABM had a hissy fit and packed up half the kids' playthings until they learned to pick up after themselves :-).

That ceiling thing? Yeah, we've had to work on our ceiling twice due to a leaky tub upstairs. In our case, the kids would get the floor too wet when they got out of the tub and it was seeping through the caulking at the outside bottom of the tub.