After yesterday's "confessions" post, I felt like I needed to clarify something. I was feeling a little convicted that I made it sound like I'm all jaded about love. I do, in fact, love my husband a whole whole lot. And just to be clear, I've never actually thrown a stick of butter at his head... although my MIL has, so it's not like that's never happened. But I didn't want anyone to think I'm all down on Brad, because I'm not. I'm madly in love with this guy, no matter how mad he makes me sometimes.
So while, yes, there are times I'd like to throw butter at his head (and I know the feeling is mutual), I still want to be with him.
It has nothing to do with having a romantic picnic on the side of a mountain (although, we have done that before), but more to do with sticking it out even during the rough times.
And that's what I meant by the love comment.
***
"Spring comes early here in Zone 7B, which is a gardening geek's way of saying the Middle South. Daffodils sprout through frosty pine straw in yards all over town, teasing fools like me to dig around outside, even though I know full well that a 70-degree day in February can be followed by a night of apocalyptic storms and a week of arctic freeze."
(Lindsay Bierman, Editor of Southern Living, February 2012 issue)
I relate to this quote all too well.
Because it never fails. In the middle of winter, we have a few days of spring-like weather. It always leaves me strolling around our yard, mapping out where I'd like to plant tulips and rose bushes this year, and jonesing for a trip to Lowes.
The weather couldn't have picked a better time to cooperate. Brad had the day off, so we decided to head to one of our favorite parks for a picnic. Local readers will recognize it from the pictures, but if you do happen to watch the Bachelor, you may recognize it from Brad's season when he went to meet Emily's daughter. And no, we didn't see Miss Emily yesterday. :)
There is an old retired train there that kids can play in. Actually, when I was little, you used to be able to play on it. There used to be kids climbing all over that thing. It was SO fun. Of course, as you'd expect, I'm sure some kid fell, broke his arm, and ruined it for the rest of us. So now you're only allowed to hang out inside.
Noah has been really interested in trains for a while now, so I was hoping it'd be a big hit (and I could get some great pictures, obviously).
But as usual, he surprised me and was way more interested in swinging instead.
After going through a lot of my pictures, I realized I seem to have a fetish for vertical shots.
So I'm sorry. You may have to do an excessive amount of scrolling in this post...
It always cracks me up watching Brad and Noah at the park.
It's like Noah has his own secret service.
Our families have always teased Brad about his over-protectiveness, and it's never more evident than when we're out in public. He keeps an eye out for creepers, watches the bigger kids around Noah, and makes sure he doesn't throw dirt on anybody... which he did, but the other kid had on a helmet. So he's good.
As a kid, I loved going to this park to feed the ducks. Unfortunately, this time around, the geese were the ones after some free food.
I have a borderline hatred for geese.
They're mean and aggressive. Plus, one attacked me in college, and I haven't liked them since (story for another day). But I figured I'd be a good sport for Noah's sake, and we fed them some leftover bread.
(I think this whole issue with Brad taking blurry pictures of me is becoming a running gag on this blog...)
And just as I suspected, the geese got all irritated when we ran out of food.
It's times like these that that over-protectiveness comes in handy.
(He may or may not have honked at the goose to chase him away...)
(Brad actually took this one. I thought he did a great job! He even did the whole lay-on-the-ground-to-get-a-perfect-angle thing. He's a lot less self-conscious than I am.)
I can't wait until it's actually Spring. This park is gorgeous once everything starts blooming.
But until then, we'll just be thankful that it feels like Spring.
I have some exciting news.
We FINALLY got Noah some sand for his sand box.
And oh my goodness gracious, this boy done gone and lost his mind.
(yes, that is dirt on my boy's nose)
We spent the remainder of daylight hours in the back yard.
It was actually pretty heavenly.
Brad and I sat out there and discussed all the things we wanted to do to the yard this year... most of which we probably won't get to. However, I have resolved to paint our picnic table red. I'm kind of excited about it.
I really needed yesterday.
Just a day to relax with both of my boys
(the pups too).
It was nice having Brad around all day, without any phone calls from work or having to worry about normal life stuff. Really, really nice.
Having a happy kid kind of just topped it all off.
I'm now off to prepare for a much needed Girls' Night Out.
Hope you're having a great week!

























6 comments:
I toooooootally didn't take your confessions in that way-in fact, I definitely agreed with you, not about brad, but with Ryan.....sometimes life is hard and schedules don't always work out perfectly and we just get so darn tired of the monantony.
Cute pictures!!!! And loving the logo thingy. I want a fancy camera so bad but since I got my iPad, I probably won't get one for awhile!!!!!
So jealous of your beautiful weather.
Don't you just love park/action shots! Yours are awesome. You're going to treasure these years from now!
I'm so glad that you have been able to enjoy the crazy weather that we're having... Ten bucks says that February will be snowy. Grrrr..
I've also always loved that park and was way bummed when they locked up the train. I remember scaling the underside of it as a kid (and, I'm sure, filling my clothes and hair with sand. gross.). Seriously, hours of fun.
Your son is just too adorable!! I love park pics! kids being kids- so cute :) and I have to get a sandbox- the boys would have a blast with that.
You're silly. I didn't take the last post that way at all.
Although the whole stick of butter thing? STOP TALKING ABOUT ME.
Love the pics.
Post a Comment