Thursday, July 19, 2012

Bloggers 411



I'm linking up today with Becky from Mrs to Mama! I saw a few of these Blogger 411 posts floating around and thought it'd be fun to join in. Remember way back in the day when people would email surveys out? Yeah, I was the weirdo that actually enjoyed them. Now that the blog world has gotten so popular, it's nice to know I'm not the only one. ;)

1. How long have you been blogging? And what got you started on blogging? Has your blog changed?
I started blogging back in 2002 using Livejournal. Before that, I was an avid writer and have a closet full of diaries and journals to show for it. The reason I started was mainly because I can type faster than I can hand-write. My poor hand just can't keep up with my brain.
I started this blog after my friend Meagan convinced me to jump on the blogger bandwagon. It started out pretty boring, but has progressed over the years into what it is now... another mom blog. ;)

2. Did you go to college? If so where, and what did you study?
I sure did! I graduated high school a year early (at 17), and I wasn't really itchin' to run away and party with the college frat boys just yet. Instead, I played it safe (and saved my parents a bunch of $$) and attended a community college for the first year. I went to UNC-Greensboro for ONE semester and HATED IT. Don't get me wrong, the school is fabulous. But I hated my major (business), I missed Brad, and I hated being away from home. The only reason I went was because people kept telling me I needed to go away and have the "college experience". The only friends I made were this big group of guys that I ate dinner with every night. At 20, I felt like I was eating with a bunch of 35 year olds with real life issues and facial hair. They were really cool though, except for the one who invited me to go to California with him, even though he knew I had a boyfriend. But that's another story for another day.


After that awful semester, I transferred to UNC-Charlotte. I changed my major to the oh-so-glamorous field of Sociology. And while I did absolutely zero with the major, I loved it. I'm totally fascinated by other cultures, social stratification, deviant behavior, social movements, etc. I almost minored in Women's Studies as well.
Based on my educational background, you'd never know I'm a Republican. :)

3. Where have you traveled?
I've done plenty of "vertical" traveling. The furthest west I've been in the US is the NC mountains. I've been to PA... visited the Amish, Hershey Park, Knoebels, etc. I've been to DC, GA, SC (mostly Myrtle Beach and Kiawah almost every year), and the Outer Banks of NC. We honeymooned in Disney World back in '07, but I'd been twice before that.
My biggest trip, though was to Cancun a couple of years ago with Brad. Instead of a bonus at work, my employers offered to pay for a hotel stay of our choosing. So we decided to go somewhere that we'd probably never get to if we were paying. We stayed in a 5 Diamond resort and spa. It was absolutely amazing.




4. If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing you would buy?
Okay, I could list a bunch of charities I'd love to donate to, and I totally would. But y'all are wanting to hear the selfish stuff, right? haha... A bunch of land, pay my dad to build my dream home, and a couple of horses. And a new car for Brad. Poor guy has been driving clunkers since he got his license.

5. What are your 3 biggest pet peeves?
*My own clumsiness... I'm covered in self-inflicted bruises all of the time. I trip over/down/up things, ram my toes into corners/vacuum cleaners/random objects, and drop everything. I promise Brad doesn't beat me. I just have a coordination problem.
*When my husband uses our bed post as a hanger for his clothes
*One-uppers.

6. What is your favorite movie?
The Notebook. The setting is the island next to Kiawah, where Brad and I have been vacationing since we first started dating. Except I always turn off the movie once she comes back to him. That way it ends on a happy note. :)
(Benny and Joon is a close second. Johnny Depp was my first big Hollywood crush, thanks to this movie)

7. What is your drink of choice; wine, beer, or liquor. Or Water, Soda, Tea?
I almost always just drink water. But outside of that, I like Lemon-Lime Gatorade. If I'm feeling really crazy, I'll have a couple sips of Brad's Dr Pepper. ;)

8. What is something you enjoy to do when you have me time?
Watch tv, read, do my nails, shop, go out with friends, blog. Heck, if I can go to Target alone, that's a treat for me.

9. If you could have a $10,000 shopping spree to one store, which store would it be?
Anthropologie. Or Target.

10. Share with us an embarrassing moment of your past? Or present.
When I was 14, I walked my little sister (in her stroller... she wasn't even a year old yet) down to Brad's house (we lived in the same neighborhood). We talked for a little bit outside, then I decided to head home. His driveway had a pretty steep hill. Attempting to show off and be all, "Look what a cool big sister I am!", I started jogging down the driveway with the stroller. My foot got caught on one of the wheels, and I ate it. I literally rolled down the hill, while the stroller went flying and toppled over. Thankfully, she was alright.
I looked up and Brad was just staring with his mouth open, unsure of what to say. So he hesitantly asked, "Are you okay?" When I said yes, he proceeded to laugh at me for the next 3 days.

(I bet you thought I was exaggerating with the clumsy thing, didn't you?
Also, I didn't tell my mom this story for years.)

11. What day would you love to relive again?
Several... playing outside with friends as a kid, summers on the lake as a teenager, the day I met Brad, mine and Brad's first kiss, prom, my wedding day, any of those first few days with Noah.

12. If your life was turned into a movie... what actor would play you?
Anne Hathaway. Pretty sure I'd be getting phone calls if I said anyone else. lol.

13. What are the jobs you had in high school/college/the early years?
I worked in a little high-end clothing boutique in Davidson. It was really slow, but my boss was so cool. On the days she was there, or if I worked with my aunt, we'd just hang out and talk for hours. After it closed, I would try on the dresses I loved that were way too expensive and made for women who are 6 ft tall.
The only reason I stopped working there was because my boss got pregnant and decided to close the store.

(no, we didn't employ kids. that's my little sister visiting. lol)

After that, I worked for a costume/fashion jewelry boutique. I was there for 5 years, starting out as a regular associate and made my way to assistant manager, then the sole engraver for four stores (plus the internet orders).
It had its moments, but overall I loved it and treasure the friendships I made there.




14. Show us a picture from high school or college.

At a high school dance with Brad. Actually, this was our first date!
(I was 17 here)

Out with friends (I was 16 here).

Graduation night with my childhood bff and stepsister.
(17 here)


15. If you could travel anywhere in the world, all expenses paid, where would you go?
I don't think I could pick just one!! Paris is a definite.
I'd love to go to Hawaii, St Thomas, or just anywhere tropical.

16. Show us the most current picture of you or you, or your family, or anything of meaning to you.
This was the last family picture we have of all 3 of us. It's hard being the one behind the lens all of the time! There aren't very many pictures of me!


This was a couple of weeks ago during July 4th fireworks.


17. Where do you see your life 5 years from now?
Happy. :) Hopefully another baby by then, Noah finally talking and doing much better, and a lucrative photography business.

1 comment:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

You DO look like Anne Hathaway!

I love this - you are such a sweet soul!

That family photo cracks me up. It's impossible to get kids to look at the camera when you want them to. Even non-autistic ones. :-)