Friday, July 20, 2012

The New Diet... the 1st week.

So we've been on our gluten and dairy free diet for a whole week now.
It's actually been eye-opening and fascinating to watch. By Day 3 or 4, I realized that almost ALL of Noah's sensory issues were completely gone. He hadn't done any visual play, no random clapping, no repetitive running back and forth. He was engaged with us. His eye contact was amazing, and we could tell he was "there".
Tuesday night, he said, "Mama" for the first time, unprompted, since last September. Actually, he was taking a bath and said, "Mama ba-ba" twice. So I'm guessing he was saying "bath". Out of excitement, I ran to share the news with FB. I had almost 100 Likes, plenty from people I haven't talked to in ages. Silent cheerleaders for my baby. It made me a little teary.

Then Wednesday, Noah found a graham cracker. I'm not sure where he found it, but Brad saw him walking around with it and immediately flushed it down the toilet like it was poison. haha.
Get this.
Within hours of his few bites, his sensory issues starting appearing. He seemed less engaged with us. It was disappointing, but also a little encouraging that this must be working. I told friends this last night, and they were shocked at how fast it had an affect. One girl there is married to a guy with celiac, and she agreed when I explained that those with food allergies can get sick almost immediately just from cross-contamination.

I've since done a clean sweep of the house, just to make sure he doesn't have a secret stash anywhere. The boy knows something's up. He's refusing to eat things that he actually likes. Foods like muffins, pumpkin bread, and cookies. But he'll get over it eventually and adjust. It's just going to take a little time.

1 comment:

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

That is amazing. And kind of scary at the same time how much food affects us.