For the majority of my life, I was super skinny.
Like the kind of skinny that you want to hate. I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted and never gained a pound. After college, I put on a few lbs, and I actually weighed my heaviest, a whopping 125 (ha), when we got married. I'm the queen of maintaining. If I'm a certain acceptable weight, I tend to stay there for years. However, there have been plenty of times where I'd lose 5 lbs without even trying. I'd forget to eat or walk a little more, and voila! Skinny.
See? This was in college. I was probably 19 or 20 here. Those pants were a size 4, and I remember them being way too big. lol. *sigh*
It's been 3 years since Noah was born, and since then, my body has been mad at me. Pregnancy does something to a woman's metabolism. I'm sure if I did one of those detox diets and spent hours at the gym, I'd be able to kick it back in gear. But frankly, I don't particularly enjoy working out. Not at least until I'm in the middle of doing it already. I prefer fun workouts. Swimming, water skiing, horseback riding, playing sports (although I'm not very good at it)... the problem is that those all require money and lots of time. Neither of which I have a lot of.
As far as those special diets? The idea sounds nice, but honestly, it's just not practical. Part of life is gathering with family and friends over meals. And while those meals don't have to be super fatty and unhealthy, the likelihood of them only involving salads is slim. If I'm being honest here, I don't want to live off of salads for the rest of my life.
I like pasta. I like eating the same food that my family is eating.
But I also want to be fit. By most people's standards I'm not fat. My weight, at this moment, is teetering the 130 line. But because I have such a small frame, it's obvious on me. I don't hide it well.
So. Here's where I'm going with this. And this is probably more for myself than for anyone else.
In less than 2 months, I'll be turning 30. I have no idea what we're doing, but if cameras are involved? I want to look good.
Sure, I could be all "I don't care what I look like as long as I'm healthy..." or "It's all about how you feel...". But no, I'm going to be honest.
I want to look hot on my 30th birthday. Not frumpy or trying to squeeze into my favorite skinny jeans a'la Eat, Pray, Love style.
For the last few weeks, I've been completely revamping how I eat. I'm still eating what I want, but I'm more aware of how much, when, and what. For example, if I'm craving chocolate, I'm not going to deprive myself. Because typically if I try to avoid it, I just end up eating a bunch of other stuff to pacify the craving, ultimately consuming more calories than I would have if I'd just eaten the darn chocolate.
I'm eating more protein, fiber, fruits, and veggies. I love me some carbs, so I'm trying to moderate that a little more.
Now that I've got that under control, I've started P90x again. I'm not completely out of shape. I can easily keep up with the workouts, but I'm definitely sore afterwards. I just need to tone up, which hopefully won't take long if I just stick with it.
However, if I miss a workout, I'm not going to beat myself up about it or freak out because I completely messed up "the schedule". I'll just pick up where I left off. If I don't have enough time for a 2 hr yoga DVD, I'm supplementing with the Crossfit Mamas workout.
So far I've been doing the P90x thing for a week, while watching what I eat.
And guess what.
I gained 2 lbs. I told a friend of mine that I'm just going to ignore it, in hopes that maybe my scale is broken. Because at some point, eating right and working out should equal a fit bod, right?

4 comments:
Actually, your muscles tend to retain water when you work out, especially with something as intense as P90X. Drink even MORE water, and give it some time... you will see a drop.
Also, I have noticed that a lot of my friends who suffered from pre-e when pregnant had a really difficult time with their metabolism afterwards. And they were also very thin in college like you, and could eat whatever they wanted. I am not sure if you were diagnosed officially with it, but I remember reading about how you were dealing with severe swelling and had massive water weight gain, etc.... which would definitely be pre-e!
I was just like you in college - a rail!! The sad thing is as we get older our metabolism's aren't as fabulous and we have to work harder. It sucks! I think you look great as you are.
Silly...muscle weighs more than fat :-)
I usually gain a little when I first start working out too but then the fat starts coming off and I can feel it in my clothes before I see it on the scale.
Reese Ann is 15 months old and my body is still soft in the middle. I like to think if of it as a work in progress...hehe.
Good luck girl! I know you can do it!
Good luck girl!! Sounds like you are doing it right, not over stressing!
I can't wait until my 6 week appt to get the all clear to work out again. This post-baby bod is notsogood. ;)
I am sure you will be looking fab for your bday!
Post a Comment