That's how long we've been married, as of 4:30pm today, give or take a few minutes.

Frankly, this isn't exactly how I'd planned spending our fifth anniversary. Actually, our original plans involved spending the evening here:

Yep. We were going to go to the Biltmore Estate for their "candlelit evening". I've never been during Christmas, and Brad's never been at all. Now? The idea of standing in lines all night (albeit with a gorgeous view) makes my insides get all twisted up just thinking about it.
Unfortunately, medical bills will be showing up soon, and with Christmas right around the corner? It's just not going to happen this year.
But that's okay. Because this is real life. Crap happens. Dishwashers break (yeah, when it rains, it pours...), money gets tight, and... well... it's not always roses and rainbows around here.
And you know what? I'm okay with it. We're not celebrating our honeymoon. We're celebrating marriage. And guess what, folks. This is marriage. Where life is filled with dirty dishes, Thomas toys, and pizza by candlelight.
Brad and I had 8 and 1/2 years of fun, romantic dates. Back when parents handed us $20 for dinner. Back when we could drop everything to go see a midnight movie. Back before we had responsibilities and bills and obligations.
And those years were fun. We were stupid in love, and it was amazing.
Now? We're still stupid in love, but in a different way.
We're a team now. When one of us is down, the other picks up the slack. Brad has really stepped up his game this week... washing dishes by hand, vacuuming, taking care of Noah. You name it, he's done it. All without a complaint. And I've been falling hard for him again.
So no, he may not be whisking me away on some fancy, schmancy romantic getaway. But he's doing much better than that. He's taking care of me. I feel loved and adored. He tells me I'm beautiful every.single.day. He's an amazing dad to our little guy, and goes above and beyond to make sure we're all happy and healthy.
I've got a good one.
And I'm thankful every day that we met all those years ago...

...and that I was lucky enough to end up with him.

Life is fun and stressful and happy... and perfect.
(Last year's post, that has more wedding details, including a video clip)
5 comments:
I totally cried. Happy Anniversary!!!!!!
Soooo true. This is marriage! I love how you put that. Crap happens but we are so lucky to have someone with us through it all. Someday we will have a second honeymoon but right now we are in a phase of life we will miss. Being poor and struggling and being constantly tested as parents.
Happy anniversary friends!!!
1. Happy 5th Anniversary!
2. You are absolutely gorgeous! I hope you have that first picture framed somewhere.
3. Great post! It's amazing how our definition of love changes and strengthens with time. I thought traveling and having money would make me happy but now, just being on the couch with the hubs or dancing in the kitchen means the WORLD to me.
4. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. You are so strong and brave! Tough times make strong people.
5. Love your funny Pinterest board :)
So sweet!! And you were a beautiful bride.
:-)
You have such a sweet story. Happy anniversary!
Post a Comment