(This post has a bit of girly TMI, so if you're a single guy... which I'd be shocked if I had single male readers... or easily grossed out, you've had fair warning).
A slight correction on the procedure... I had a D&E, not a D&C.
I don't particularly like hospitals, nursing homes, doctors' offices. Heck, even the dentist. There are too many odd, beeping, scary-looking contraptions that just make me nervous. I've been in way too many with Brad, and while I'm thankful they exist, they're not my favorite.
But I have to say, the surgery center I went to was extremely nice. I got changed, they stuck me in a recliner, gave me a warm blanket, and turned on some daytime tv. So yeah, I sat there and watched tv for 2 hours while I waited.
The medical staff was wonderful, my favorite being the anethesiologist and his nurse. I like male nurses. While female nurses are hit-or-miss... most being great, with their comforting ways and all; I find that male nurses bring the sense of humor I need to calm my nerves. Comfort is nice, but give me a guy that can have me laughing in spite of the reason I'm there? Yes please.
He was also awesome, because he gave me the step-by-step, play-by-play of what to expect. Brad stayed with me until I went into the OR, so that was nice.
The last thing I remember was lying down, looking at my anethesiologist nurse/buddy and saying, "Oh, you hit the trigger already, didn't you?" And I was out.
After it was over, my OB met with Brad in the waiting room to update him on how I was doing. She said that I bled more than expected (sorry, TMI). Honestly? That little detail alone just confirmed that I made the right decision not to wait it out. I tend to be anemic (yet refuse to take iron supplements, because they make me sick... blech). Throughout my high school and college years, I would get debilitating cramps (and have to be sent home because of them), would black out, turn (even more) pale, see stars, etc when I'd get my period. So I could've been in real trouble and ended up in the hospital anyway. It's nice to have your decisions backed up by yourself. :)
I woke up in the recovery room alone. I kept hearing how I'd be groggy and not remember anything, but I actually remember everything. They were pretty shocked at how quickly I recovered from the anethesia. I talked just fine, and I remember everything we discussed. The nurse lives in the same small town my aunt and uncle do. She moved here from CA, because she hated the craziness and wanted a small-town, slow, Southern lifestyle. She explained my meds to Brad and me, gave me something to drink, and some kids pain reliever (easier on the tummy, apparently).
Within 15-20 minutes, they were wheeling me out to the car (and thankfully didn't tip the wheelchair and dump me out like my nurse-buddy said they would).
Brad has been so amazing through all of this. So when he got to the car and asked if he could stop by the Target (right around the corner) to pick up the latest Call of Duty game, I of course said yes. I mean, he had to pick up my meds anyway, so it just made sense. ;)
Considering I hadn't eaten since 6pm the day before, he ran in and got me a muffin from Starbucks to hold me over until we could stop somewhere good.
I was still a little lightheaded and tired, so I just stayed in the car.
Afterwards, we ran by Subway where I asked him to load up my sandwich with meat, spinach, and veggies (my own way of dealing with anemia). And like a good husband, he also came back with a cookie. :)
I spent the remainder of the day in bed, watching movies, and just resting. Brad went to get Noah from my mom's that evening, then stopped by his parents to install a new tv for them. My mom had let Noah take a nap from 3-7 (gee thanks, mom...), so I told Brad to go over there since it might help wear Noah out a little. Turns out, his mom's blood sugar was dropping fast, and his dad wasn't there at the time to help. So it was perfect timing.
All in all, everything went well. Brad has to work today, so it's just Noah and me again. I'm hoping he's cool with hanging out here all day. I'm doing fine, just taking it easy.
I'm so thankful for all the sweet comments, texts, emails, phone calls, and messages I've gotten. It's been a huge help during all of this. So thank you. :)


5 comments:
I'm glad you're doing okay friend.
I read this with tears in my eyes. Sorry I've been so MIA but I promise you've been on my prayer list. Your strength is so, so inspiring. So glad you are doing as well as can be expected. XOXO
Proud of you girl!!!!
Take it easy for sure over the next week. Limit stairs. And don't pick up Noah if you can help it.
I'm amazed at your strength.
You are so brave! You handled this with grace and strength. You are an amazing woman!! Noah has an amazing role model. :-)
hugs
Glad to hear everything well. Hope your weekend is nice and relaxing. Can't believe you and Brad will be celebrating your 5th anniversary! Time sure flies by :)
Post a Comment