Friday, April 30, 2010

Medical Updates

I don't know if it's because Brad has grown up going to hundreds of doctors or what, but he seems to think Noah should see every medical practitioner possible. I think he's starting to try and search for reasons that Noah should go to the doctor. Right before our 6 month appt with the pediatrician, Brad was certain Noah had something wrong with his eye. He asked me to look at it, and I said, "well, maybe the left one is a tiny bit off... but, sweetie, I think he's fine..." in which he responded, "No, I think it's the right eye."
*sigh*
So he asked our wonderfully patient pediatrician, and he said if we're seeing anything, it's most like pseudo-something-or-other, which is basically gives the illusion of an eye problem. Brad was concerned because it runs in his family. His dad and niece have a condition where their eye goes slightly inward unless they have on glasses. So he was worried Noah had it. Our pediatrician referred us to an eye doctor to have it looked at, only because it's in the family.
I decided to take him to my friend's husband, Steve, for an appointment. I used to work with her and have known them a long time. He's so nice and incredibly smart, plus he's rockin a cool Jewish mustache. lol. Anyways, we took him to see Dr Steve yesterday. Noah was amazing and didn't mind too much. They dilated his eyes, and he wasn't too crazy about the eye drops, but he never cried. At the end of the appointment, Steve told us, "You have the best baby. He didn't cry once!" Then he asked to pick him up. Brad asked if he needed to move out of the chair to put Noah there. Steve responded with, "No, we're done. I just wanted to hold him." I saw Noah eyeing his mustache, which made me a tad nervous. After all of those compliments, all we needed was to have Noah pull his mustache to ruin it all.
And as I suspected, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Noah's eyes.
While Brad may be crazily overprotective (he admits it), I would much rather Noah have a daddy like that than one that doesn't care at all.

As for Noah's helmet, things are looking good. We had a visit recently, and everything is progressing well. I know this means nothing to y'all, but this is how it kind of breaks down in layman's terms.
A perfect head is around an 88. Noah's head was at 108 at the beginning. He's now at a 96. So we're "headed" (I know, I'm a dork) in the right direction. The only problem Mr Andy sees is that at the rate at which Noah seems to be growing (incredibly fast), he'll probably outgrow the helmet before his first birthday... which cuts the correction time short.
And to brag, yet again, all he and his assistant could keep saying was, "He's such a good baby! All he does is smile!" They're right. This baby only cries when something is really wrong. He must be making up those first couple of months to me.
Brad keeps telling him that his job is to make mommy happy.
So far, he's doing a great job. :)

Our Angel:
(sorry for the drool, y'all... it comes with the teeth...)

4 comments:

Charbelle said...

that picture is priceless!!!!!

Ben and Sara said...

I am glad nothing is wrong with his eyes. We were the same way with Colton and Ryan. We always "thought" we could see their eye turning in. They have both been checked because it is a genetic thing and so far their eyes are fine. Love the picture!!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

He is SO cute. Thank you for the 1st B-day idea. I LOVE it!!

Dani In NC said...

I believe there is a correlation between how often your parents took you to the doctor and how often you take your own kids. The only time my family went to the doctor was if someone was bleeding or giving birth, and sometimes not even then. I still have scars from a couple cuts that I'm pretty sure should have had stitches. As a result, my kids stopped going for regular visits after they finished their immunization schedules.