Friday, April 15, 2011

because roaches and mice weren't enough.

So, the pest control guy came this morning.
What is it with these people? Why do they all have to be so odd? I mean, I guess it takes a "special" kind of person to want to crawl around with rats and roaches. But still. I don't really care to look at your tattoos, hear about how you accidentally killed your parrot, or how you were in Desert Storm. I just want you to get rid of the bugs and mice.
But he did redeem himself a little. He told me he thought I looked no older than 20. So I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Last night, Brad and I sat down and looked at roach pictures. We definitely have the American kind... which is actually the best ones to have. They rarely live indoors. They live outside, but occasionally will show up indoors for food. They like moist places (which with all the storms lately, that explains a lot). And since it's the American kind, just because we saw 3 at once doesn't mean we're infested. He said if he walked in and saw them all over the place, we'd have a problem. Or if they were in our cabinets/pantry/closets. But they're not, so that's good. They also don't carry any diseases or anything. As for the hole in the wall, turns out the last people who lived here did a crappy patch job. He doesn't think the roaches could've dug through that, so it was most likely a mouse. But we're positive no mice have ended up in our house, because we've never seen any evidence of it. If ya catch my drift. Brad patched it up last night (and did a good job this time). Nothing's coming through there ever again.
As for the mice, we're doing the right thing by continuing to set traps. We're still catching them, so that's good. The pest guy informed us that mice are stupid. And practically blind. Plus, it'll soon be way too hot to live in our attic and garage, so they should be leaving on their own soon anyway. Which is really great news. He treated both inside and outside (non-toxic), so hopefully we won't be seeing any more roaches anytime soon.

Brad didn't sleep a wink last night.
He said every time he closed his eyes and started to drift, all he would see were roaches. So he was up all night. I slept, but I definitely had roaches in my dreams. I dreamt I was in Noah's room counting them. Blech.

Did I mention that our roof is leaking? And a piece of our house blew off in the last storm and ended up in our neighbor's yard (on the OTHER side). Because mice and roaches just weren't enough. Our insurance guy arrived this afternoon and let us know that the repair will be less than our deductible, so we get to pay out-of-pocket for it. Yay.
Oh, and to top it all off?
Target is ruining our Easter. Yes, technically, they're closed on Easter, which is nice. Brad was supposed to also have Saturday off, but turns out they need him. So he'll be working overnight Saturday night into Sunday morning. Which means no church for us. I'd take Noah alone, but that's no fun. And Brad's already told me his feelings would really be hurt if we left him on Easter (even if he's unconcious for it). So yeah. Retail sucks. The end.
Also, the lds missionaries came by yesterday. Not that this is neccesarily a bad thing. They're usually super nice, but yesterday was not good timing. Brad had torn the house to pieces, in search of roaches. The dogs were barking at them right outside Noah's window during his nap. And since I had gone to the Dr, I happened to be wearing a dress, which was a little lower in the front than what I normally wear (pregnancy had a slight effect on the chestal area. not enough to leave people gawking, of course. but enough to make me feel less teenage boyish). But I went to the lady doctor, and it was the only dress I had that didn't add an extra 3 lbs when I wore it. So yeah. I wasn't self-concious until I opened the door and saw the tags. Crap. Great time to dress like a floozy. At least I had a cardigan on over it.

So by the end of the night, Brad and I just wanted to sit in a corner and cry. The last two days have just been so frustrating. We ended up treating ourselves to McDonalds. I was smart and kept it under 500 calories. But I'm pretty sure eating dinner (much less McD's) at midnight may not have been the best dieting decision.

Also, we were going to be going to a Springfest tonight with some of Brad's old coworkers. But now that massive storm that has rocked the rest of the country is supposed to hit us tonight. So it's not looking too good.

*sigh*

Silver lining?
Well, we got a new AC unit. Woohoo! So at least we're not having to endure all of this ridiculousness while sweating.

Sorry for all the griping. Happy post tomorrow, how's that?

Hope everyone's having a great day!

1 comment:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

We;ve had 2 roaches come into our place since we've lived here. THANKFULLY they've FLOWN in through the front door. GROSSSSSSSSSS. So, we've taken care of them. The bugs here in FL are ginormo and discussing. Seriously, gaaaaag.

I wish I could tell you that things get better, because I thought that about our situation, and things just seem to be getting worse.....SOOO hang in there? lol Keep your head up and stay positive :-)